HMS Belfast 1939/43 - The Arctic Patrol

G

Graham D

Excellent build, I did not realise it was so small, I have enough trouble with some of the bits at 1/350 scale.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Excellent build, I did not realise it was so small, I have enough trouble with some of the bits at 1/350 scale.
Thanks Graham, at least with smaller stuff, you can get away with things, but with 1/350 and bigger, everything is on show.....If you follow...

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've made a start on the final diorama for HMS Belfast.....

I tried to cut the full hull to a waterline, but was making a mess of it, so instead I chiselled into the chipboard base - which is a piece of old plinth and slotted the model in to the correct depth. Next I primed the surface and bedded the hull into some polyfilla and, because the cruiser will only be travelling at a few knots, I shaped some small waves with the same mixture.

I then made some 'ice' by spreading a thin layer out on a board. When the mixture has hardened I will move onto the next phase.

Thank you for your contributions thus far. I appreciate them all....

Here are the stage pictures. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 79057

View attachment 79058

View attachment 79059

View attachment 79060

View attachment 79061

View attachment 79062

View attachment 79063

Cheers,

Ron

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 028.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 029.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 031.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 030.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 034.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 033.jpg

HMS Belfast  Airfix 1.600 037.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking excellent Ron, the ship is fantastic and the base looks your usual superb seascape. I also really like the look of the big mallet , nice to see I'm not alone in using heavy duty woodworking tools on our models!!!! cheers tony

D

dubster72

I agree, that base looks very good with the unruffled water that's often found in Arctic seas.

And Tony, that's how Ron builds all his stuff, by whacking it with a mallet till it cries uncle!

Cheers Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the humorous posts chaps....Both made me chuckle!

Just in case there is any confusion. The initial base of polystyrene has been discarded in favour of this bit of chipboard, 'cos it's smoother and, as Patrick rightly points out, is in keeping with the sometimes mirror smooth Arctic waters, which is where this diorama will be modelled on.

Cheers,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I agree, that base looks very good with the unruffled water that's often found in Arctic seas.And Tony, that's how Ron builds all his stuff, by whacking it with a mallet till it cries uncle!

Cheers Patrick
I'd a thought Ron woulda said if the fit of the parts on this kit was that bad Patrick!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, being very careful not to slip into 'Chit chat mode', there were a couple of occasions during the build when I was tempted to reach for the mallet!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
How did I miss this one , great build Ron , I love that sea effect :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Alan, I think we are all guilty of missing some builds.....and I'm probably the world's worst!!

I'm glad you like the sea. I've been working on the dio. out in the sunshine for most of the day.....wonderful.

You could well be in for a big surprise in a couple of days time!

Cheers,

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thanks Alan, I think we are all guilty of missing some builds.....and I'm probably the world's worst!!I'm glad you like the sea. I've been working on the dio. out in the sunshine for most of the day.....wonderful.

You could well be in for a big surprise in a couple of days time!

Cheers,

Ron
I'll look forward to that mate :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Update time....

I've finished the final diorama which depicts HMS Belfast's participation in the Arctic Convoys during WW2... it's December 1943.

I will post the finished model in 'Ships and Boats'...Completed Ships just as soon as I've loaded some pickies.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread.

Cheers,

Ron