HMS Roberts - WWII Monitor - 1:350 Trumpeter

G

Graham D

Very nice looking model and good painting. The weathering is about right, as naval boats were constantly painted to reduce the effects of the weather

C

Caledonia

Phase II - Making Waves

Here I am going to attempt to copy the method used by the Canadian Artist/Modeller Chris Flodberg.

I am using the box the model came in for my base, I am using the top of the box for the main base and inserted the bottom only of the lower half of the box as a stiffener.

Chris uses bran flakes for the sea, I am not exactly sure which type, but I took a gamble and bought this from Amazon, I also used cheap Super Glue from 'Pondland', I used 8 off 20g tubes. The type of bran is important as the quantity of Super Glue used generates a lot of heat and the wrong type of Bran can smoke and fog the model. Fortunately I was lucky with my choice. It was surprising how warm the base got even through a double lair of cardboard.

View attachment 86706

The idea is to fix your model to the base, fill the box up to the waterline, and with a spatula, shape the bran flake to what ever type of sea you want. When you are happy with the results, you drench the bran flake with super glue, in order to lock it into place. Do this outside,in a warm day with a light breeze otherwise the fumes will get your eyes and lungs. I left it for 48 hours to dry and de-gas thoroughly.

View attachment 86707

After the two days I trimmed the excess cardboard off with a Stanley knife.

View attachment 86708

Next step is to give the bran flake 2 to 4 heavy coats of Extra Heavy Gel, to smooth out the roughness of the flakes, for this I used a stiff hog hair brush. It also seals the Bran Flake.

View attachment 86709

View attachment 86710

This is the results after the first coat of Gel, will leave it over night before applying the second coat, which I think will be sufficient.View attachment 86711

Cheers Derek

W01.jpg

W02.jpg

W03.jpg

W04.jpg

W05.jpg

W06.jpg

Last edited:
L

Laurie

Heart in your hands at the moment Derek.

Fascinating idea/technique. Looking good having owned a motor cruiser, in times gone by, recognise the swirling of the sea a worrying time for small boats. Brings back some memories.

Not for monitors assume they must be one of the heaviest ships about having to be a gun platform.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Thanks Lads, Laurie, HMS Roberts was about half the length of the HMS King George V, but roughly the same beam. See photo below of the latters hull against the Roberts. The white on the seascape is where the gel has not dried yet, it dries translucent.

View attachment 86769

This is the sea pattern I am trying to copy but with a choppier English Channel sea.

View attachment 86770

Cheers Derek

DSCN4760.JPG

KGV.jpg

Last edited:
L

Laurie

Very nice Derek. The wash of the boat looks very realistic.

Thanks for the cruise Derek. I "monitored" and enjoyed your first class efforts

Splice the main brace !

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Thanks Laurie, Quite the poet Laurie_t. Thanks also for your support throughout the build. Will post final photos soon. Cheers mate Derek

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Thanks Trey for your support throughout. The finished photos can be found here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/forums/completed-ships.290/create-thread

Cheers Derek