Home made tow cables

D

Dave1973

with all the tanks and armour I've got to build I would end up spending a small fortune on tow cables

So I decIded to make my own

I bought some picture frame wire, £0.99p. This is the thicker 3mm stuff.

Now cutting off a small length, you then untwist the four strands around an inner stiffener wire.

Keep the wire as it's handy for antennas!

Now using a cocktail stick, wrap a loop, and apply a tiny amount of superglue to the end. Then slip a small piece of heat shrink and shrink it

Do the same the other end.

Then simply prime and paint and affix to vehicle!!

With a little practice I should be able to make them neater!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

dubster72

I know I'll probably get slated but ...

I do the same thing, but with thinner wire Dave. Yours looks too thick to me - compare it with the plastic cables in the kit & you'll see what I mean.

The other thing I do is to cut off the end bit (the technical name eludes me!) , drill it out & superglue the cable into that.

That's what I did on my Tiger II

SP_A0481.jpg

D

Dave1973

What did you drill out? And where do you get such small clevis rings from? I can only find ones for 2mm cable, and this is .7mm thick.

If i could get them it would look better,

D

Dave1973

Ah ignore that, youre using the end parts of plastic tow cables!! I dont have any at all. Hence my bodge!

D

dubster72

I couldn't remember if the Tamiya kit came with any! One of the good things about Dragon kits is they usually have extra bits which end up in the spare parts box!

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Looking at this thread got me thinking: Does anybody make just cable ends? Making the cable isn't too difficult when scratchbuilding them, its just making the ends that is hard part. I do the same thing with kit cable... chop the ends off and use them with some kind of wire cable. Bad thing is, if I drill the hole off center, the end is shot. It would nice if they were available.

D

Dave1973

Ive found some resin ones, but they were £8 for four! Its just too expensive.

Im thinking about making a latex mould and making my own oit of epoxy resin.

Would cost a few pence for each one by the time ive made them.

Ill keep ypu posted.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

That would be a great idea, Dave. Do keep me posted.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I know I'll probably get slated but ...
I do the same thing, but with thinner wire Dave. Yours looks too thick to me - compare it with the plastic cables in the kit & you'll see what I mean.

The other thing I do is to cut off the end bit (the technical name eludes me!) , drill it out & superglue the cable into that.

That's what I did on my Tiger II

View attachment 137623
Awesome puddy tat ( I mean paint job)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Ah ignore that, youre using the end parts of plastic tow cables!! I dont have any at all. Hence my bodge!
Dave. Try some heatshink. You can get it at Maplins if you have one close

D

Dave1973

I got heatshrink peter, thats what i used. What were you thinking of using it for?