Honda NR ( 750 ) Tamiya 1/12, completed

M

m1ks

This one was a nostalgia trip as it was the very first 1/12 Tamiya model and bike model i'd ever built and the first use of an airbrush.

I wanted to do a better job this time round and am pretty confident that I have done, (though it's a long long time since I saw the other one, if it survived it's at an old girlfriends parents house still from many years ago).

Usually, when I build a bike or car model i'll add some light weathering, exhaust heat staining, soot at the exit pipes, scuff the tyres a little with sandpaper etc but in this case I wanted to represent a completely box fresh just uncrated model NR, (one was recently uncrated along with an RC30, both bought and stored by a Honda dealer some years ago and both were offered for sale, I believe the asking price for the NR was about £45k, but lets face it, you'd never ever get another unridden, unstarted fresh from the box one, also, they were £38k new back in early 90's.

The side fairing panels are provided in clear plastic and I decided to leave the LHS panel clear as there are a few visible bits of engine interest that side, unlike the RHS which I painted.

So heres some side, front, back, top and bottom shots followed by profile and detail shots.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

WOW!!! My jaw just hit the floor! Killer looking NR Mike,every bit of detail on this is simply over the top! Your skills are most impressive,5 stars aint enough for this one,very nicely done Sir!!!!!

First Name
Dave
Fantastic build.Nice detail.Even the engine oil level in clean oil.

M

mobear

stunning absolutley stunning the level of detail and the paint job is out of this world mate,beautifully done deserves 5*s without a doubt

mobear

C

CDW

there's a motocycle group build coming up in the third quarter of the year ...... i suggest you DO NOT enter ... that way all the rest of us will stand a bloody chance :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

This is stunning Mike ... i've looked at the pictures a few times and still keep seeing extra details i missed the time before.

A 5* build if ever there was one ...

M

m1ks

Thankyou guys, you're too kind, the problem with close up photo's is you always see little bits that make you think, damn, I forgot this or, I could have done that bit better/neater etc, although,

I am really pleased with the results of this one overall.

The top of the fork tubes should actually have an adjuster, (which would be a small nipple like protrusion), in anodised red and the cap around the bolts should be anodised gold too, I meant to paint that but forgot.

The decals were very trying but given they were very old it's hardly surprising they were a bit brittle and theres lots of the carbon ones to apply.

Glad you like the oil window, I first tried that on a Ducati 916 Strada I built as a WHIF a good long while ago as it occurred to me then that you never see that detail picked out on bike models and being a rider of bikes who performs his own maintenance it's a prominent and noticeable feature at the side of an engine for me. (Some bikes don't have one, they use a dispstick on the filler cap)

CDW, I'm normally hopeless with GB's as I just can't get organised enough for completing on time, but now I know theres a bike one coming up I shall have to have one selected from my stash to join in, Again, you're too kind, i'm sure there are many out there that can outdo me and I have no doubt that there will be a plethora of fantastic entries, my only problem is which bike do I build? I have a Bimota Tesi which was a possible next build but I may save that one for the GB.

I often look at some of the aircraft and (particularly), armour on here and think, wow, i'd never get that close skill wise, I'm still trying to complete my first tank and the weathering is a complete unknown area to me.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And so you should be pleased with it Mike its rather stunning, i'm looking forward to the bike GB but i doubt mine will turn out anything like yours 5 stars from me

First Name
Michael
Wow what a beauty, one day I'll have a go at a bike. 5*.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Nice work, and good pics

J

jjflash

That is one very nice build, however if I was to be picky...

.....then I would be an idiot ! :respect2:

W

Waffen Bucks

This is stunning. 5*****

I've looked at it again...and it's still stunning!

First Name
Gregg
Just seen this, stunning are you sure they aren't photo's of the real thing!!!!!:thumbsup:

Gregg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Serious skills you have there I could see my face in the paintwork it's that good I wish I could get my paintwork like yours as I have a traffic jam of cars and 1 bike waiting the only way around that for now would be a scrapyard dio lol well done mate I think you will definitely be the pacemaker in the sig

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
There is nothing much to say that hasn't already been said here ................ That bike is absolutely awesome. I'm really gonna have to put in some effort on the group build if that's the benchmark :darn:

Peter

M

m1ks

Thanks again guys, you're all too generous. I confess to being very pleased with this one. The paint is nothing more than enamel, (humbrol), applied in thin coats with an airbrush, you really can't beat the shine enamel gives. Just make sure you cover them for at least 24 hours to protect from dust and flies etc. :smiling3:

I didn't know there was a sig going right now! I've been of the modelling thing for a while due to personal circumstances but will have a look at the details, I have a bike kit or two waiting in the pile.

S

Stevekir

Impressive smooth shiny gloss finish. Any tips on getting that? (I will be starting a car soon and such a smooth even shine is essential.)

M

m1ks

Just airbrushed humbrol enamel with humbrol enamel gloss clear Steve. No great trick, thin wet layers, keep covered for at least 24 hours and I let it dry for 72, (enamel takes a long time to cure and dust can be a problem due to the slow drying times hence the covering)