How many Builds on the go at one time?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just one for me. Partly because I'm new to the hobby but mainly because I always seem to have other things to do. Even being retired I find managing to find time to spend time on my model fairly difficult.
As you get older Doug and especially as it's winter you'll find modelling time. However in the summer , now that's a different thing:smiling2:

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
No worries Mark, that’s why I thought I’d say it. The instructions on the bottles are not really that clear……another trick is to use a wet paintbrush to move the decals around or unfold them. I always moisten the model surface first so the decals can be positioned. If you don’t they can grip the model and then tear when you try to slide them. Last hint for now, gloss varnishing the area where the decals are going can also help as it’s a smoother surface finish.
Appreciate all the help and tips on here, I'm part way there, The model was glossed before decals, I do use wet paint brush and moisten model surface, it was just the use of the red at wrong time that caused the problems, think next attempt will be successful, ... Thanks again :thumb2:

Last edited:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ive got several on the go.Even a few kits made in 2015 that sit with no paint.I wonder if any of you are like me.I get a real burst of enthusiasm and then the initial interest wanes really fast.I think i finished 6 72nd kits last year and no 1.35th.I do consider at times culling a lot of the stash and go back to just a handful of models.Probably would regret it big time.
I did see a post on Facebook where a fella had around 200 Hasegawa 1.72nd Phantons all neat on shelves.He didnt build much and was told a lot of modellers are hoarders and selfish!!!.Stating that families are left to get rid of a collection when modeller passes!!!.
Bit harsh i feel.
Rich

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just the one at the moment on the bench, it's getting near to Nationals time and I need to get it and the base finished. I have another on the go, but at the moment sitting back in its box and another that I use a 'wonder what I can do next' pull out and put away when I have done a bit to it.
So at the moment it is:-
IDF Doher
FV432/120mm WOMBAT conversion.
LAV111
+ 4 bases.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ive got several on the go.Even a few kits made in 2015 that sit with no paint.I wonder if any of you are like me.I get a real burst of enthusiasm and then the initial interest wanes really fast.I think i finished 6 72nd kits last year and no 1.35th.I do consider at times culling a lot of the stash and go back to just a handful of models.Probably would regret it big time.
I did see a post on Facebook where a fella had around 200 Hasegawa 1.72nd Phantons all neat on shelves.He didnt build much and was told a lot of modellers are hoarders and selfish!!!.Stating that families are left to get rid of a collection when modeller passes!!!.
Bit harsh i feel.
Rich
Interesting. I will only build one at a time and starting a new kit is the reward for finishing one. But then I do build primarily 1/32 scale aircraft which are inherently longer builds anyway. I agree about the burst of enthusiasm and, sometimes, it is possible to hit a ‘rough patch’ with a build but I know that if I don’t finish and start another I won’t return to the build. When such a ‘rough patch’ hits I will just set out to make a bit of progress each day, until suddenly, I am through that patch and get on with it when the enthusiasm picks up again…

I only keep a smallish stash, normally no higher than 10 kits and when one of those ‘rough patches’ hit I do research for a kit in the stash but take that no further than, perhaps, buying aftermarket.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Microscale Blue is slippery water, mostly inert. The Red is the the snuggle stuff & much stronger, so best left when decal has dried in position. Most modern decals are pretty thin, but for those really thick stiff ones I have some Solva-Sol that is very strong.