How to make extra long drills.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Confronted with having to drill straight through five bulkheads to feed a throttle cable I had to think of what to use for a drill ? as the distance was something like nine inches standard drill pieces were out ! so I made a very simple but effective drill in the following way-Firstly get hold of a piece of 10 swg piano wire and holding the end onto a metal surface beat the surface to a flat,modern piano wire is pretty soft in comparison with the real music wire of days gone,more like silver steel if anything else.

Once you have the flat take the wire over to your grinder and grind the front to an arrow shape and gradually taper off the rear blending this into the round of the wire,I got the idea from those archemedian drill bits which have a similar shape for drilling pilot holes into ply for internal cutting.

Now for the test,make a start with any ordinary drill and insert the long drill into bulkhead one,spin up the drill and just go through the whole lot of bulkheads or whatever your task is,the result-a complete run of holes from which a piece of outer bowden sleeve was inserted ready to take the throttle wire,this got me out of trouble and could be useful to others one day.