How to strip paint

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I know I've mentioned this before, but I thought I'd share it once again as there are still questions being asked.

These parts were all:

Primed with Halfords Grey Primer (Spray)

Spray painted with Humbrol Enamel

Coated with Klear

Details hand brushed with Revell Acrylics

Coated with Klear.

I was unhappy with them so decided to strip them and start again. This is how they look after being soaked in brake fluid overnight then rinsed under the tap.

Easy peasy!

Gern

View attachment 56202

Paint stripping.jpg

F

Fenlander

Does rinsing them get rid of the fluid Dave? Forgive my ignorance but brake fluid to us cyclists is the sweat on our palms as we try to avoid murderous car drivers lol. I assume that brake fluid is some type of hydraulic oil? If so, does it need much work getting rid of it. It cannot be argued from your picture that it certainly works and I know it has been a favourite tool of car vandals for years but I have never fully understood what makes it react to paint the way it obviously does.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Graham.

I've had a good look at these bits. As everyone knows, brake fluid is nasty and foul smelling so it's easily noticed. I've handled these bits quite a lot while looking at them and they look clean and I got no indication of any brake fluid or oil/grease on my fingers.

Whenever I get brake fluid on my hands I always need plenty of soap to clean them; so it's a mystery to me that these plastic bits seem to clean up with just a good rinse. I suppose if you want to make sure, you could give them a good soak in warm, soapy water but I'm quite happy to re-paint these with no further cleaning.

Gern

C

CDW

brake fluid is glycol based so will attack paint.

that is the original mineral type (ie the "dot" type) will do.

the new synthetic (silicone based) type won't be as effective.

F

Fenlander

Thanks for the info guys. I have just looked up in Google for brake fluid and it has DOT 3 and 4 but both described as 'synthetic'. Getting confused now lol it doesn't take much :sad:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't know anything about chemistry, but the one I used is DOT 4, described as synthetic and containing polyalkylene glycol ethers and ether esters so it looks like Colin is right.

Gern