How would I go about making gutters?

L

Lobster Johnson

Good morning everyone. I have been working on a little diorama based on a collection of metal album art and a love of old wooden sheds on and off for the past couple of weeks. I'm wanting to add some leaf choked guttering to the wall in the picture but at an approximate scale of 1/32 (give or take) a half straw seems a little wide. Does anyone have any suggestions? I only need a straight piece with no down pipe which should make it simpler.

Thanks.

View attachment 84296

image.jpg

Last edited:
L

Lobster Johnson

Hi Richi,

Sorry about this but is the pdf a template for a gutter section? I'm trying to simulate something along these lines:

I've tried using drinking straws but apart from it being incredibly tricky to cut them in a straight line, they look a little wide. Here is a little bit of a better picture.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You could use thin Plasticard maybe. Cut it into strips about 5-6mm wide, soak in hot water for a few seconds then bend it around a stiff wood or metal dowel about 3mm diameter.

Gern

L

Lobster Johnson

Actually Gern, that sounds perfect. I didn't know that it could be moulded like that but it seems like it might be the answer. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You can buy similar scale: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-35-Scale-Gutters-3-straight-and-2-pieces-to-make-a-corner-HAN601-/251537373946?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item3a90cbbafa

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Richard
Ok Dale, now i understand what you mean.

i make my gutters from round styrene or plastic straws. In my Dutch house building i used some thin brass sheets cut them in 6mm strips and bent them around a rod and then i solder them together

Cheers Richi

L

Lobster Johnson

Both nice suggestions. I've just ordered some plasticard so I'll give that a go and post the results. Thanks chaps.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have some rigid plastic tube that you can have a length of, I can try using my grinding wheels to get it to look like guttering, should be okay for scale wise too.

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bit late, but might be useful in the future.

I use thin brown card from the back of receipt books etc. Cut into the required width strips, soak in water to soften, then bend around a thin gauge nail to the correct 'round'. leave to dry then paint.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The heavy foil like the foil trays from the chinese take away is a great building material. Just mind your fingers on the cut edges.

Ian M

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Ok Dale, now i understand what you mean.i make my gutters from round styrene or plastic straws. In my Dutch house building i used some thin brass sheets cut them in 6mm strips and bent them around a rod and then i solder them together

Cheers Richi
i do it very simulate to Richi, i use a tea candle holder cut into a strip, then worked around a rod or paint brush handle about 7mm,

what i do is make a cut down from top to bottom, then around the bottom , which gives you a long flat bit then just make your gutter on that and use a sharp blade to rut and bend ,

which is the top left

hope this helps

View attachment 84331

20140624_110528.jpg