Is it just me...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I see where you are going Laurie, but as has been much the issue in this post is foreign objects in the paint. By mixing in a pot, rather than in the airbrush, you are eliminating one of the possible points by not adding the paint directly in the airbrush. I do it as well, direct into the AB that is. So far I have been reasonably lucky. I would say if you are having issues with paint/debris/clumping why take the chance. We are after all trying to eliminate a problem

As for waste of paint, a smudge on the side of a mixing pot contra a whole airbrush full that has to be ditched do to "detritus" is a bit of a no brainer if you ask me. lol

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
If you are for example normally using Vallejo paints, and for some reason use a spirit or cellulose base paint or primer, you naturally use the appropriate cleaners for that. Then go back to the Vallejo...The tiniest drop of cellulose thinners, hiding in the airbrush will make the Vallejo coagulate. This also works the other way.
Well! That rings a bell. After I had finished using Vallejo primer on my Rolls Royce I changed to Tamiya Synthetic Lacquer which, after trials, gave me the high shine that every RR demands. Then I cleaned the AB thoroughly with Cellulose cleaners and put it away. Some could have lingered. It looks like the Cellulose + Acrylic crud remaining caused the blockage. Thanks for that. I will be buying both the nozzle kit and a new nozzle and will use the old one (if I can get it to work) for lacquer spraying only.

\ said:
A fine brush with bristles long enough to go through the nozzle. Does not need to be a luxury item. as long as the hairs are long enough and will not melt in cellulose (even if you do not use the stuff!)
A squirty bottle. The empty thinners bottles never get thrown away by me. Make a hole that you can screw the nozzle of your airbrush into. Make sure it is a tight fit. After a good clean screw the nozzle into the tip of the squirt bottle and blast cleaner through it. (make sure the nozzle does not fly out.
I used a single strand of some brass picture-hanging wire to put through the nozzle. (Brass is softer than steel.) It evidently did not remove hardened crud.

The squirty bottle seems good. I will do that. Actually, in desperation to clear my nozzle I took the brush part off a photographic puffer brush. The tip of the AB nozzle fitted well into the orifice and I could give a good blow. A squirty bottle with cleaner seems better.

\ said:
A last good idea. Try to have a spare nozzle 'in stock' That way if you get a bad blockage, you can swap over and carry on and bath the blocked nozzle in thinners while you work on.
Will do.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I see where you are going Laurie, but as has been much the issue in this post is foreign objects in the paint. By mixing in a pot, rather than in the airbrush, you are eliminating one of the possible points by not adding the paint directly in the airbrush. I do it as well, direct into the AB that is. So far I have been reasonably lucky. I would say if you are having issues with paint/debris/clumping why take the chance. We are after all trying to eliminate a problem
As for waste of paint, a smudge on the side of a mixing pot contra a whole airbrush full that has to be ditched do to "detritus" is a bit of a no brainer if you ask me. lol

Ian M
I agree. Its a mixing pot for me from now on, examining the paint as it goes into the pot for any lumps. A good idea. All this is called experience. It take ages to get! When my 16-year-old grandson moans about insufferable know-it-all older people, a (metaphorical, sadly, now-a-days) clip round the ear soon sorts that out.

L

Laurie

I find it strange that you should get problems with the paint. Some of mine is now five years old including the primer.

All works perfectly. If you are using a .4 nozzle which I have on an H and S then there should not be any problem even a little lump will go through that.

So Steve I do not think it is your paint. I think there is a problem with your airbrush. Your paint worked before you have had this recent problem and presumably you have tried other colours to ensure you are not using a rogue. As the worms do not issue form the paint pot then they are forming in the airbrush and the question is why.

Assuming all of that as being so then it is an airbrush problem. Not mentioned anything about seals. I would change your seals while changing the nozzle. Also while at it change the needle if it has a slight bent top of a small curl on the top it will ruin the nozzle and could be a likely contender for the "worms".

I always keep a spare needle/nozzle set. When things do go wrong it is easy then to eliminate a problem with needle/nozzle by swapping.

When you clean Steve do you brush back up from the front end of the brush up through into the cup. Also from the spring end down through to the front nozzle end. That needle housing tunnel does get paint backed up into it. If it is not cleaned properly old paint will come back down, as bits into the nozzle area, as it is loosened by the thinners in the new paint being used.

Laurie

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Sorry Gents had to scroll through 90% of posts on subject maybe NOT my best day, but my advice.... buy the cheapest crap paint you possibly can and hit it like Picasso with a vengeance. Seems to work for me, let the true 3D artist in you come out and don't entangle yourself in technicalities. If I'm out of line then just ignore me {as most do} hate to see the FUN lost! Have a good tipper and ENJOY yourself that's what it's all about I feel. Never did like those little spitting devils but maybe that's just me. CHEERS! JIM ;)

L

Laurie

\ said:
Sorry Gents had to scroll through 90% of posts on subject maybe NOT my best day, but my advice.... buy the cheapest crap paint you possibly can and hit it like Picasso with a vengeance. Seems to work for me, let the true 3D artist in you come out and don't entangle yourself in technicalities. If I'm out of line then just ignore me {as most do} hate to see the FUN lost! Have a good tipper and ENJOY yourself that's what it's all about I feel. Never did like those little spitting devils but maybe that's just me. CHEERS! JIM ;)
Right-tee-ho Jim :cool:

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I find it strange that you should get problems with the paint. Some of mine is now five years old including the primer.
All works perfectly. If you are using a .4 nozzle which I have on an H and S then there should not be any problem even a little lump will go through that.

So Steve I do not think it is your paint. I think there is a problem with your airbrush. Your paint worked before you have had this recent problem and presumably you have tried other colours to ensure you are not using a rogue. As the worms do not issue form the paint pot then they are forming in the airbrush and the question is why.

Assuming all of that as being so then it is an airbrush problem. Not mentioned anything about seals. I would change your seals while changing the nozzle. Also while at it change the needle if it has a slight bent top of a small curl on the top it will ruin the nozzle and could be a likely contender for the "worms".

I always keep a spare needle/nozzle set. When things do go wrong it is easy then to eliminate a problem with needle/nozzle by swapping.

When you clean Steve do you brush back up from the front end of the brush up through into the cup. Also from the spring end down through to the front nozzle end. That needle housing tunnel does get paint backed up into it. If it is not cleaned properly old paint will come back down, as bits into the nozzle area, as it is loosened by the thinners in the new paint being used.

Laurie
I have established (I think) with the help of Everything Airbrush and others including you (many thanks) that the nozzle has got blocked gradually over time, despite my very rigorous cleaning. As Ian M said, using Tamiya Lacquer and its solvent Cellulose thinners for a couple of months before I put my AB away for a few months could have caused the thinners remaining to react with the following Acrylic paint. So the acrylic paint was probably not the problem, but until I return to normal I will decant paint for a short time to confirm success. As Ian M said, when something mysterious is happening it is important to exclude as many things which might contribute to the problem.

On cleaning from the nozzle end to the trigger, I brush this with cleaner every time. However, I am not clear whether it is wise to push that little bottle brush through the seal in the middle of the AB. I need to check that.

I have ordered a new nozzle and the nozzle cleaning kit.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Wow! I could have completed two projects and a case of pints plus snookered the ;;

Mrs. a few times by then Love that word 'snookered' Have given it my own YANK meaning DON'T CHA KNOW! :rolleyes: ;)

S

Stevekir

\ said:
.......Actually if you have a magnifier light Steve place under the magnifier large end upwards and look through. You will soon locate any residue of paint. With a .4 it is easy not so with a .2. You will see, if clean a lovely round hole.
I forgot to reply to this. After every clean I always look through the nozzle (from the inlet end of course—the tiny outlet is too small to see through) against the sky which seems better than a light, and always checked that the outlet appeared as a clean round hole. Also, by changing the angle of the light entering the nozzle I checked that the part nearer the entrance reflected as shiny, and by rotating the nozzle about its axis I checked that nothing could be seen rotating with the nozzle, just shiny reflections. Belt and braces! But none of this prevented the blockages that I have been having.

I bought the reamer and a spare nozzle. On using the reamer I did not see any crud on it which I was hoping for. On further cleaning of the nozzle, I got a blockage when using one of the paint bottles that I had inspected for lumps by pouring into a jar and back again (as mentioned in my earlier posts). I changed to the new nozzle and was able to spray covering a surface larger than an A4 sheet and which was for about 15 seconds. I repeated this successfully with another colour of paint. So, fingers crossed!

When John's Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver arrives I plan to use that every time.