Is PE worthwhile?

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Hi Bill,

I have done one PE kit and it's the only one I've ever used.
I'd say some parts were worth while and some were not.
Being a novice I had to start somewhere, good tools and patience and you'll be grand.
Give It a go!

James

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
FWIW I wouldn't buy a set like you mention. maybe start off with a build that includes a small fret of etch included in the kit. Even Tamiya include small frets in many of their recent kits these days. You will soon find being selective in what parts look best; often flat PE does not replicate tubular items very well, so the kit parts are often a better option.

Apart from recommending a large bib to catch all the tiny parts that will inevitably start pinging around, also check out:

1. A decent set of straight tweezers
  2. A 'metal' file specific for photo etch. They get rid of burs much easier than a standard file
  3. Have a separate modelling knife to your regular one to detach parts off the PE sprue. They blunt sharp knives quick
  4. Anneal parts that require bending. They are much easier to manipulate into shape
  5. A PE parts bending tool. There are many on the market and are relatively cheap. They will make life much easier to achieve consistently good, folded angles. Tamiya also sell some nice bending tool pliers.
  6. Some quality CA glue. There are thin 'hot' instant bond types and gloopy slow drying ones, and the new rubberised black versions are a game changer. You can now buy de-bonders to clean up any overzealous applications.
  7. Buy or make your own CA glue applicator. Many like the Colle 21 product come with their own fine needle applicator for excellent minute applications but there are also specific tools available.

Last edited: