Italeri 1/24 Lancia LC2

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
With the BMW coming close to a finish, my next build will be this
lancia lc2.JPG
I've already done an in-box review here https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/italeri-1-24-lancia-lc2-inbox-review.39133/
:
Looking at the model a bit closer, it's a bit crude, and purely a kerbside model, absolutely no engine at all. The construction look simple, but I reckon the decals are going to be a little tricky, mainly because of this
wing louvres.jpg And the decal that fits over the louvres
transfer problem.jpg
I don't know if my normal decal solution will cope with that, so I might have to dig out the Humbrol Decalfix. That's a bit fierce, so it's not normally used.
The cab is a bit bare, so I reckon I'll use the racing driver ( with full face helmet ) from this
fujimi drivers.jpg
You get one racing driver body, 3 separate heads with differing helmets. The other figures will languish in the spares box. I did look at a 1/24 resin figure, but that was more expensive, alone than the Fujimi box!
Dave

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
oooo nice...dont think ive seen this one done before........good luck with the decals

First Name
Jean-Marc
Interesting choice ..I'm getting myself some POP-CORN and a large DrPopper so I can follow this one and the other you have started ...Go,go,gooo !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After the Revell BMW M3, this is a much simpler build it's just a kerbside model, with no pretensions of unnecessary detail - the cab is a bit bare, but the driver will fill the space. The model can be made with the doors open, but looking at the hinges, that doesn't look very good. Some of the construction is distinctly old school - pivot pins with the tops melted with a heated screwdriver!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is the driver from the Fujimi set:
DSCF3313.JPG
I'll have to do a bit of digging to see what colour the suits were, and if either MIchele Alboretto, or Ricardo Patrese had distinctuve helmets. I'll have to make some 6-point seatbelts up, possibly masking tape..............
Chassis underway..................
DSCF3314.JPG
That's it, more or less - a simple rod for a rear axle - couldn't be simpler - I hope that there will be head clearance for the driver, otherwise, the dremel may make a brief period of use, to remove the drivers backside & thighs!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The daylight revealed a couple of sink marks in the bodywork, so a dab of filler was used before priming ..............
DSCF3316.JPG
One prime coat & a basecoat - I'll leave that overnight to see if I need another white coat before moving onto the gloss varnish.
Tub sprayed aluminium, and the rest of the chassis black
DSCF3315.JPG Wheels assembled, ready for the tyre walls to be gloss varnished, prior to adding the Pirelli decals. It is a very simple model not many pieces to add............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Two coats of gloss varnish, then I need to add the transparencies before starting the decal process................
DSCF3318.JPG
The wheels have had their decals added, and the instrument panel added. The driver has had some seatbelts added from masking tape & a buckle from scrap plastic..............
DSCF3317.JPG The suit was white/off white & I've found the helmet colours
albaretto.jpg
Albaretto
patrese.jpg
Patrese - I think the simpler colour........................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First major problems! The transparencies are a very poor fit & need a bit (!) of fettling, just to get an approximate fit. Now, onto the decals.................
framing.JPG
The instructions don't show any painting on the window frames, but when you apply the decals, this is what you find......................

DSCF3319.JPG
Not impressed, to say the least....
After drying the decals - the frames are touched up.................
DSCF3320.JPG
As to fit - I've had to open up all locating holes, nothing too difficult, but rather annoying. I'm afraid this just confirms my long held impressions of Italeri as a second tier manufacturer. The model is basic & really shows it being made to a tight budget - this cost me £19 delivered from ebay, and that's what it's worth.
I may change my mind ( for the worse ) when I start to apply the stripe decals................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Can't say I have really enjoyed applying these decals, not easy getting things to line up - I've only done one side so far..................
DSCF3321.JPG
Abut the only good thing I can say is that they're pretty tough! At the moment the decal solution part#2 is at work - it ( hopefully ) will draw the decal down ( the wrinkles will disappear... ) - It may need another application later night. Italeri give you the option of having the doors open, but when it comes to the decals there's no guidance for this. In the background, the driver is waiting impatiently................
Dave

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice one Dave I know you will turn this thing into a Beautiful Race car.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Even though I knew how all the decals went on, the other side wasn't any easier ( or enjoyable! ) All I can say is that I wouldn't want to attempt this without decal solution!!
DSCF3322.JPG
There are a few gaps, where the decals don't quite meet - I'll let the decal solution do its' work overnight, and maybe attempt a little touching up to hide the errors.
These will be the last pictures in the under construction section
I've done 3 cars in quick succession, and I feel a change in genre coming on.............maybe something floaty, but whether a complete new build, or picking up a shelf queen.....................
Dave