Italeri 1/48 Sea Hurricane

First Name
Dave
This is one of Italeri's newer mouldings and is a very nicely done kit.The cockpit is well detailed with a two part canopy to give the option of open or closed.I started it in march last year.But one evening,after a few drinks,i managed to get glue on the windscreen.So I put it away and got on with building other models.Then a few weeks before Xmas, I had an accident at work.So at the moment Ive got plenty of time on my hands and I decided to see if I could finish it.I spent some time carefully polishing the windscreen and managed to get most of the damage out.Then I painted it with Xtracolour Sky, Humbrol extra dark sea grey and dark slate grey enamels.Ive finished it as a mk1c of No.801 NAS operating from HMS Indomitable during operation Pedestal,august 1942.A nice kit to build but a warning to anyone whose got one of these in the stash.The Decals need to be handled with care and will only take a small amount of moving into position.I usedmicrosol/set, but still managed to ruin a couple.Luckily I had decided to paint the sky fuselage band and the yellow areas on the fin and wing leading edges instead of using the decals provided.Id like to have weathered the paintwork,but chickened out in case I made it worse!.Something I need to work on in the future.I forgot to mention I used a spitfire tail wheel and strut as one half of the kits leg pinged out o f my tweezers into the darkest recesses of my shed!.The same thing happened to the oil spray ring which should be mounted on the cowling behind the prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

photo number 2 looks very real on my monitor,well worth 5*s matey,beautifully done i say.

happy new year to you

mobear

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great build Dave very well painted

I've been looking for a medium scale Hurrcain and this looks like the one so thanks for posting :smiling3:

First Name
Mike
Looks spot-on Dave, I really like it. Good decision to paint the sky/yellow, always looks more convincing than decals IMHO and ensures the Sky matches the underside. Like Alan I may have to check out the Italeri Hurricane, based on your result.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks nice Dave. I built the 'normal' camo version a while back, this is the first Sea Hurricane I've seen.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, I love a Hurricane. Nice paint job too.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good kit well built and painted.

Like it a lot. So much so I could be tempted to build the one in my stash....

Well built Dave. Hope the arm is on the mend.

Ian M

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice build Dave real like the paint work as well, good job

First Name
Dave
Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.Since I broke my arm I'm actually getting more modelling done!.Nearly 4 weeks since I broke it and its healing nicely.Saw a physio yesterday and he reckons model making is good exercise for it.Just need to get the elbow sorted in the near future.Going to finish the A36 Apache next ,then progress the TSR2 and start the Lightning.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great build Dave, and good to read you're on the road to recovery too.....

K

Kressy_13

Great work on this one mate. Looks to be a good kit with a nice finish. Well done.

0ne48thtel

Another great build there Dave and the clear parts look good after the mishap.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top looking Hurri Dave , you cant tell anything happened to the canopy. Ive fell foul of the drinking and modelling scenario before too! It seems like a good idea at the time though!! cheers tony