Kc-97 Stratotanker

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals,

Well, I did something I dont normally do, built some 1:144th scale model aircraft. These things are extremely small (to me atleast) and kinda hard to see the various parts...I guess thats why i like 1:48th scale :smiling3:

But anyway I had been wanting to build some aircraft that have been based at the Little Rock, Arkansas Air force base for some time now and when I came across a sale of 1:144th scale models, I just had to buy them.

So here is 2 photos of the first one, the Boeing KC-97 Stratotanker, one of the very first aircraft based at the LRAFB. The second photo has a B-47 Stratojet in the background, yet another one of the models i bought. Here they sit in the driveway (wet driveway):

kc_97_stratotanker_1.jpg

kc_97_stratotanker_b_47_bw.jpg

I still have a few models in this scale to build, including the B-58 hustler, the DC-4 and the DC-6 as well as the 707-400. I will post them as i cpomplete them, but for now, I am going back to something larger lol :smiling3:

Have a good day and thanks for looking,

Greg aka GW

T

tigertc

This particular aircraft always reminded me of the 1920's movie version of "The shape of thing to come" the aircraft in that were not to dissimilar if memory serves me right.

Or maybe it was just the style of the movie. Once again, top effort sir.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Terry,

Yes I know the movie of which you speak and this aircraft does resemble the aircraft in that movie. I think back then they all thought everyone would be flying everyplace they go by now and the larger aircraft like in that movie would be similar to public transportation.

I just got through speaking to Russell, aka Desert rat racer, and he had told me that this model would look great refueling his B-29 Bomber.

Well, I am not sure if Russell or you Terry, know this or not, but this is a B-29 lol. (Technically atleast). First there was the B-29 superfortress, then boeing came out with the model 377 stratoliner, which was a modified B-29 (same wings, engines and basic airframe), the military liked it and wanted it for use as a transport and modified it and renamed it the C-97 Stratofreighter. Well, why stop there, they decided to make it a refueling platform too by modifying it further and renaming it the KC-97 stratotanker.

But wait, it doesnt stop there, The retiring Stratofreighters, stratoliners and stratotankers werent all "put out to pasture".........no, someone had the bright idea of modifying it again, creating the well known NASA "SuperGuppy" which carries entire space launch vehicle sections in its wildly exaggerated fuselage.

Again, this wasnt enough, next came the Pregnant Guppy anyway, to make a long story short, The evolution of the B-29 can still be traced to present day, the "SuperGuppy's" still fly in the US and elsewhere in the world as large cargo transports still on the same basic airframe as the B-29.

I am including some photos below:

b29fifi.jpg

(above: B-29 Superfortress)

bo377-09.jpg

(above: Boeing model 377 Stratoliner. Note the lower half of the aircraft and how it looks like a B-29 and a half stacked.)

041116-F-9999R-002.jpg

(Above: The Military C-97 Stratofreighter)

kc97L.jpg

(Above: The KC-97L Stratotanker. Note the added Jet engine on each wing to help it stay ahead of the new jet aircraft of the airforce.)

747px-Super_Guppy_N941_NASA.jpg

(Above: Nasa's "SuperGuppy" Extra large transport for hauling Rocket sections built on the frame of the C-97. Note the newer turboprop engines).

Now there are more updated versions of the SuperGuppy, but all of the above aircraft are all based on the original airframe of the WWII B-29 Superfortress. Neat little bit of hiostory huh? lol

Thanks for the comments terry, have a good day,

Greg

T

tigertc

All this proves that truly great designs never die. The superguppy always makes me smile. I am amazed it gets off the ground, it looks so awkward. Thanks for a great post. Always informative and educational. Am I correct in thinking that the Superfortress was used in ww2 ? Were any of them based in England.?

73north

You are probably very, very well aware

that the B-29 Enola Gay has been reassembled

at Washington, District of Columbia at the brand new building

in 2003 , devoted to aircraft, not available to have been viewed before

due to space limitations at the central washington NASM -

I only learned this new building ( on the outskirts of the Capitol )

existed due to Wikipedia

= I visited the NASM in 1997 ( during my honeymoon ) dragged my wife #

round , and saw the Zero , Mustang and the Messerschmitt 109 etc

and nose of Enola Gay

have you ever been to this new museum building before ?

they also have the world's only Oscar japanese WW2 Fighter

at the new facility

best regards

David

Good luck with the build

73north

Yes the B-29 was used only against the Japanese

first in China in late 1943, then the Marianas in August 1944

onwards

get the Ballantines Book about the B-29 on ebay

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Terry,

Well, I have never really thought about whether or not B-29's were ever based in the UK during wwII or not,, but i dont believe so, I think they were strictly pacific theatre

aircraft. Well this got me to thinking not only about the B-29 but other aircraft as well that did or did not fight in europe during the war so I went to google.

Well I found what i suspected at this site: http://www.superflyingfortress.co.uk/Planes%20Spec.htm which stated the following:

"The B-29 heavy bomber set new standards in performance, armament and range. It was used only in the Pacific, finally dropping the A-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. After the war it became the main means of delivery for nuclear bombs...............The Boeing B29 Superfortress was the largest bomber to enter service in World War Two. B29's played a major part in the overall bombing campaign in the Far East and two B-29 Superfortress bombers ('Enola Gay' and 'Bockscar') took part in the atomic bomb raids on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945. "

However, this is not to say that one or more B-29's didnt make it to the UK . I really dont know the answer to your question. By the time the B-29's really saw action, the war in europe was coming to a close if i am not mistaken and the US transferred resources to the pacific theatre.

Maybe someone else can answer this question with something more definate than "I dont know" lol . The internet is great, but there are certain things that you should be leary of quoting as fact, to me, saying they were absolutely, never, ever B-29's in the UK during wwII is not a claim I want to make, I really couldnt say.

But i wanted to thank you for saying the post was informative, I not only have the 1:144th scale model I just finished, i also have a 1:72nd scale model of the Model 377 or C-97, I havent decided which way to build it yet, as the Pan Am Airliner or the C-97 Stratofreighter, but i am leaning towards the stratofreighter since this aircraft was also based at the little rock air force base. And afterall, thats what got me to buying these particular models anyway :smiling3: So I have done quite abit of research in the past few days on all the aircraft mentioned in this thread, I even tossed about the Idea of using the plastic sheeting stock i have and attempting to make a 1:72nd scale superguppy, but dont hold your breath waiting on that one lol.

Have a good day,

Greg

P

proplinergeek

The Stratocruiser ...Hotel in the sky......Queen of the Atlantic..... AKA Boeings best 3 engined airliner.....those corncobs were certainly unrelieable.... Have one in my stash in 1/72nd with Cobras resin and white metal upgrade and a set of BOAC decals........biggest problem ? where to put it when its built . One of her really neat tricks was that the fin and rudder could be folded down to fit restricted hangar headroom they even went down the production line with it folded

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Richard,

yeah, the size of the 1:72nd version is the only thing that is really keeping me from building it right now. Space is becoming rare around here lol. Thats not to say i will stop building or not build the 377, it just means i have to pick and choose what I build. I still have a KC-135 stratotanker to build also in 1:72nd scale, as well as a 1:48th B-29, 1:48th B-17, 1:48th B-25, 1:48th B-26 and a couple of C-130's.....you get the idea.

Anyway, I think i am going to get off here and go think about building something now. :grinball2:

Have a good day,

Greg

A

alan2525

Some interesting facts there - I like the added jet engines on the Stratotanker must come in handy when refueling jet aircraft!

Regarding B29's operating from UK bases - there weren't any during WW2, as the B29 came into operation too late, there were B29's based in the UK post WW2 though.

One thing I liked about the Stratofortress was that it featured that distinctive "double bubble" fuselage, with a sort of figure of 8 shape with the floor tying the middle together so it could stand up to being pressurized, just the same configuration as modern civilian jets, 747 etc - only they've sheeted in the fuselage so it's flush on the outside.

Great looking aircraft! I didn't realise that the Guppy was still in service too!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Alan,

Thanks for the comments on the model. And as for the "interesting facts", thats exactly what i thought they were when i was researching all of the aircraft that followed the B-29.

And as for the super guppy, I found this interesting site showing a super guppy loading/unloading an Airbus A330/340 middle fuselage section on August 27th 1996 at the former airforce base Neubiberg in the south of Munich, Germany. Now I realized that was over 10 yrs ago, but I liked the photos lol.

So, I searched for other flights by the Super-Guppy and found NASA's aircraft at an airshow in Houston, Texas Here: Photo NASA B377SGT Superguppy N941NA . Now that was just for an airshow, but again, I liked the photo :smiling3:

But i did find on the net this "Ipaper streaming document" (I had never seen one of these before) here: NASA 121836main vol 47-issue 3-Jun 05 which had on pages 14 and 15 a description of the new and improved super guppy. Apparently those "Turbojet engines on the picture above are from a P-3 Orion and the Props are from a C-130 Hercules, the engines built for speed and the props built for heavy loads making this new guppy not so much faster as it is more powerful. This Ipaper document was published Jun of 05'. So, yeah, i would have to say they are still flying :smiling3:

Anyway, thanks again for the comment on the model, have a good day,

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What a machine the Stratocruiser was,the elegant scheme used by B.O.A.C on their Stratocruiser's looked really good,before the jets came along these giants plied the Atlantic routes,the American company Babb & Co sold off these giants all over the world to give further service.