Lancaster registrations

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
I require information/help regarding Lancaster reg markings.

I bought a nice new decal sheet to use (building a MkIII with the radar done underneath) and have found that the reg marks are all different (ie different for each side of the aircraft).
Is this because it's just Jane? I have seen pics and this seems the case though it's also for all but one other reg marks on the sheet?

Any help appreciated as I want it to be somewhere near accurate even though it won't be 100%.

Screenshot_20240117-115255.pngScreenshot_20240117-115223.png

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Isn’t that the restored aircraft that’s deliberately marked as two different planes on each side? I think I saw or read something about that once. Looking at photos, it appears to be DX F on the right side, LE C on the left.

So the decal set would be for a restored plane, not one as it was actually in use during the war.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Could well be right Jakko. The aircraft references on the decal sheet all seem to be dated 2014. I know the B17 Sally B is (or was) marked up as Memphis Belle on her other side when flying displays, so this may be the case here. Looks like there are two sets for aircraft VRA though, so all is not lost.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I hadn’t noticed the dates on the sheet, but looks like you’re right: these decals appear to be specifically for restored/preserved planes.