Micro Sol and Micro Set

A

Awins

I know how and what these are used for, but does anyone actually know just what these products are?

M

Mark P

From the company that makes it mate, Description: Mirco Sol setting solution is for the most difficult irregular surfaces to be found on models. It completely softens the Microscale Decal, allowing it to drape down onto the surface of the model, comforming perfectly to surface irregularities without distortion. The most amazing results in seemingly impossible places are possible because Micro Sol actually makes the decal part of the painted surface. For that reason you should coat Micro Sol on for only a few seconds and then leave it alone. It does the work. Do not touch until the decal has dried, as the decal is very soft at this stage and could be easily damaged. For the best results, first apply Micro Sol to prepare the surface and enhance the adhesive. Make sure the surface is free of particles that could get under the decal's film and cause a blemish. Then, when everything is dry enough that the decal will not move easily, apply Micro Sol with a small flat brush. Apply with as few strokes as possible so a not to disturb the decal. Then allow the decal to dry without disturbing it. One application is enough in most cases, but if necessary, a second application of Micro Sol can be helpful.

M

Mark P

Description: Micro Set is a very versatile decal setting solution that does several things to Microscale Decals to improve application. Micro Set should be applied to the surface of the model where you will be sliding the decal off the paper backing. Micro Set prepares the surface with special wetting agents that cut the oils in new paint and converts the adhesive on the back of the decal to a stronger and longer lasting one. In addition, Micro Set slightly softens the decal film to make it more flexible so that it will conform better to the model's surface. Better adhesion of the decal to the model prevents tiny air bubbles from forming and results in an invisible carrier film for the so-called "painted on look." To apply Micro Set: Use a soft flat artist's brush and apply Micro Set where you are going to apply the decal. Then slide the decal off the backing paper using a small pointed tip synthetic bristle brush to carefully position the decal in its proper position. Blot the decal carefully with a tissue or paper toweling, being careful not to disturb its position. Allow the decal to dry overnight. It will then be ready for a protective coat of Micro Coat Flat, Satin or Gloss.

D

dubster72

If you mean what is their chemical composition... I'd say that's a trade secret ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Microset. Smells like a solution of acetic acid or similar to me.

Microsol. Not sure, but it must contain some solvent(s) to soften the decal film. I've heard of a MEK (butanone) solution in water or an alcohol being used as a decal softener, but can't say what is in Microsol specifically.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

I know if you get a tough decal that Tamiya thinners can usually bed it down so there must be some alcohol structure in there I would think.

Z

zak illingworth

Dont want to sound daft here but is this whats used for applying decals nowadays ? I newly back into modelling and still use warm water in a bowl method, that I was taught as a child

M

Mark P

\ said:
Dont want to sound daft here but is this whats used for applying decals nowadays ? I newly back into modelling and still use warm water in a bowl method, that I was taught as a child
Zak there are a lot of different solutions on the market now to help place decals, yes you use warm water first but when you apply the decal it goes of really fast and that is where these solutions come into their own! I use decal soft and all it does is make the decal more workable, worth getting a bottle mate as it make the job a hell of a lot easier

F

Fenlander

You still use water to separate the decals from the carrier paper Zak. I only use Micro Sol after the decal has been applied in the normal way and has been left to dry for a few minutes. Micro Sol basically partially melts the attached decal allowing it to settle into the surface detail. So if the decal goes over a panel line, the Micro Sol will make it sink into the panel line rather than bridging it.

It has to be applied with care using a soft brush without rubbing the decal as it will become soft and fragile. It will possibly wrinkle up as well but don't panic, it will settle down as it dries and pulls down.

M

Mark P

\ said:
You still use water to separate the decals from the carrier paper Zak. I only use Micro Sol after the decal has been applied in the normal way and has been left to dry for a few minutes. Micro Sol basically partially melts the attached decal allowing it to settle into the surface detail. So if the decal goes over a panel line, the Micro Sol will make it sink into the panel line rather than bridging it.
It has to be applied with care using a soft brush without rubbing the decal as it will become soft and fragile. It will possibly wrinkle up as well but don't panic, it will settle down as it dries and pulls down.
Know it all Graham :P ;)

D

dubster72

Personally I've moved away from dunking decals in a bowl of water. I use a wet j cloth & place the decal onto it. It does the same job & there's no fishing around for a decal that doesn't want to leave the bowl! ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Personally I've moved away from dunking decals in a bowl of water. I use a wet j cloth & place the decal onto it. It does the same job & there's no fishing around for a decal that doesn't want to leave the bowl! ;)
I never let go of the decal for that very reason. I dunk in warm water but keep a grip on the thing with a pair of tweezers.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Robert
I've never used either of these but I have used decal fix so is there any major advance in getting these two

Micro sol and micro set??

Honest opinions please

Regards

Robert

N

Netboy

Haven't done a comparison but the method I use is a shallow saucer with just a skim of water in it.

Drop the decal in it till it just moves on the backing.

Apply a small amount of Micro Set to area of model where decal is to go.

Wick excess water from decal with some kitchen tissue or similar.

Slide decal on to model.

Wait a few minutes then apply some Micro Sol. As mentioned, when you first apply it you think it has all gone Pete Tong as the decal wrinkles and looks awful. But magically the wrinkles flatten out and the decal exactly conforms to the models surface. If it isn't a complete success the first time reapply some Micro Sol.

I have also tried the Model Master stuff which works in a similar fashion. Also heard good things about the Mr Hobby stuff.

I even use the stuff on flat, uncomplicated areas of model as it seems to improve the look of the models.

First Name
Robert
Thanks Del it seems like a good idea as I have a few projects that could do with some magic stuff for decals IE missiles and some awkward placed decals like wing decals sitting on the panel lines.

I'm sure it won't hurt trying micro stuff over decal fix

Regards

Robert

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I've never used either of these but I have used decal fix so is there any major advance in getting these two
Micro sol and micro set??

Honest opinions please

Regards

Robert
I'm not sure that Microset, the first part of the process, is necessary. It can make fragile decals difficult to work with too. I do use it nonetheless.

The second part, Microsol, will definitely improve the way most decals conform to the model's surface detail.

In larger scales I like to use paint masks as for a painted on look you can't beat.....errrr....paint :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve