Lilya Litvyak- The white rose of stalingrad

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all, for my Eastern front GB i decided to model the yak 1 of 'lily' litvyak ,the highest scoring female ace of ww2 (or any other war for that matter)Just to push myself a bit i decided to add a 1/35 figure too ,as the masterbox 'famous pilots of ww2 'had just been released. Many of you will know im not too confident doing faces on figures so i better get this one right! Lidiya Vladimirovna Litvyak was one of the most famous of the many soviet women pilots, and the most successful of all with 12 kills before her untimely death aged just 22 in autumn 1943. The kit im doing is the accurate miniatures yak1 in the markings of lilys famous yellow 44 in 1/48 scale. Im still undecided as to whether to put the figure on a base on its own or to make a base with both aircraft and figure together but im unsure the 2 different scales would look ok?Here are some sprue shots , although it might be a slow one again, im a bit busy at the mo. cheers tony

View attachment 25266

View attachment 25267

View attachment 25268

View attachment 25269

View attachment 25270

View attachment 25271

P1070101 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1070100 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1070113 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1070111 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1070108 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1070107 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

B

bikerbart

This sounds like it will be a very fitting tribute Tony. Must admit i had not heard of her before, but now ive heard of her amazing ability as a pilot it makes the build so much more meaningful. Just 22 and to have achieved what she did....simply incredible. Best of luck with this mate, im sure you will do the subject very proud, all the best Martin :smiling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers martin, the women pilots were often overlooked but were amazingly courageous and skilled , heres a link you might find intriguing! Soviet Women Pilots in the Great Patriotic War cheers tony

G

garethm

Tony, It has been one of my intentions to do a tribute to Lylia Litivak, I have a later kit based on the accurate model, but haven`t got round to it. I am so glad that somone has the intention to finally do a tribute to her. Yes the soviets used her as a pin up for the fight against the german forces in propaganda, but she was a heroic figure alongside many other female figures. Nowadays they are trying to play down what she did, but her achievments stand as a tribute to her and other soviet women. Check out the osprey book?

Cheers Tony and I look forward to the end result.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers gareth, i have got the osprey book , its really good isnt it? An added twist is that the monument built in her memory after the war was in donetsk , which happens to be the twin city of sheffield , so in a way theres a connection (although very slight!!!!) LOL cheers tony

G

garethm

Tony, I dont know if you know that her body wasn`t discovered till some years after her death, and that it was Gorbachev that actually awarded her the honour of HSU in may 1990. I still want to know how you are going to do the photo of lillies that she always carried in her cockpit? If I can help let me know? cheers Gareth.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sounds like a really good idea. I'm sure that you will work something out regarding the forced prespective.

I saw that selv same set of figures today on t'internet. Very seriously close to buying it; How are the figures, any good (LOL). Paint them bronze and instant statue!!

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony

Excellent choice of subject matter!

I'm sure there's a way of displaying both figure and aircraft together and I think they would make an excellent piece. Could you do the Yak wheels up and have 'Lily' on the base? If you tipped the wings and have some kind af plaque I'm sure it could work.

All the best with it, I'm sure this will be good

Cheers

Paul

F

Fenlander

I have been waiting for this. No pressure Tony but I think this will be the most poignant entry in the GB. If I were to do a 1:48 aircraft and a 1:35 figure, I would emphasise the difference by having the figure on a small plinth, something like a stone of the right shape to project the figure upwards, thing Soviet statues and you will get what I mean, not the 'reach for the skies' curving things but something a little more dramatic than a turned wooden base.

Such a plinth would 'separate' the figure and the aircraft and emphasise the person above the aircraft.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
I have been waiting for this. No pressure Tony but I think this will be the most poignant entry in the GB. If I were to do a 1:48 aircraft and a 1:35 figure, I would emphasise the difference by having the figure on a small plinth, something like a stone of the right shape to project the figure upwards, thing Soviet statues and you will get what I mean, not the 'reach for the skies' curving things but something a little more dramatic than a turned wooden base.Such a plinth would 'separate' the figure and the aircraft and emphasise the person above the aircraft.
Yep, do what he said... that's what I meant! (honest)

:thumbs-up:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great ideas chaps, thanks. I was thinking of going down the figure on a raised base with the aircraft behind. If possible id like to make the figure base some sort of representation of the Hero of the soviet union medal ,posthumously awarded to litvyak by gorbachev,as gareth said, but its early days yet. cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Fabulous idea Tony, it'll be interesting to see you how you pull this off.

I have no idea what the medal looks like but I dare say you could fabricate one in relief from plastic card, with the aid of an enlarged computer print-out.

anyway, top notch idea well thunked out

:emo6:

Paul

Graham - our minds have collided in a diorama brainstorm!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rogue-one

wow tony, great idea for a wee dio. i'm well looking forward to seeing this build up.

N

noble

Tony mate i can't wait to see this one materialise i will be keeping an eye on this.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Eh up, mucker!

Just to repeat our mutal mate Scott's post. I too look forward to this!

Cheers,

Ron