M4 medium tank, Kasserine Pass, 1943

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The Sherman I was given a few weeks ago is finished:

IMG_1030.jpegIMG_1031.jpegIMG_1032.jpegIMG_1033.jpegIMG_1034.jpegIMG_1035.jpegIMG_1040.jpegIMG_1038.jpegIMG_1041.jpeg

Thanks to Age Visser for giving me the built model, allowing me to finally add an M4 to my collection of Shermans :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent Jakko. Paint job and markings make it quite eyecatching.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks :smiling3: I’m quite pleased with the way it came out, and I’m glad someone on another forum told me the mud effect wasn’t convincing enough yet :smiling3:

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
That's a stunner of a build that is - very nicely finished and weathered. I like the little details like having the .50 cracked around and the escape hatch open. It's also interesting to see the differences between this version and the A3 I'm building, the back ends especially are very different.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nearly missed this final reveal, and what a great job you have done with it.
Thanks, Mike. I like the way it came out myself, too. I think I said it before, but I’m glad someone on another forum (who is very good at weathering models) told me the mud camo needed more work to look worn :smiling3:

I like the little details like having the .50 cracked around and the escape hatch open.
I positioned it so that it wouldn’t block either of the hatches. The proper stowed position would be with the muzzle in the clamp on the opposite side of the cupola, in which case one of the two hatches can open but not the other. But it seems to me that if you’re the commander and you’re getting in, but expect to have to open your hatch sometime soon, you put it this way round.

It's also interesting to see the differences between this version and the A3 I'm building, the back ends especially are very different.
As I mentioned in your thread, the various Sherman subtypes exist at all because of the need to use different engines. Those engines resulted in different engine decks and hull rears, and they’re always the best way to identify which variant you’re dealing with :smiling3: This, BTW, is a pretty early M4 — on later tanks, they did away with the cutout in the upper rear plate so the bottom edge was simply straight through, while on your M4A3, it extends down below that line. The “pots” under the overhang, BTW, are the engine air filters.

Excellent finish, Jakko. A well used but not abused vehicle.
That’s the look I was aiming for, so I’m glad you think it ended up looking like that :smiling3:

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Thanks Jakko - that makes a lot of sense. I'm just reading through and digesting what you're written on my thread - I think I've learnt more about Shermans in the last two days than I ever have before. :cool: And here I was thinking Spitfires were complicated.