Madam Medusa

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is now finished. 75mm figure from Eclipse Miniatures, donated by a friend. I've whipped through this, primarily to get it off my bench.

Maybe I'm a prude, but I'm really not a fan of 'erotic miniatures' (there's much more extreme stuff than this out there, of course). I don't know where saucy, sassy and harmless ends, and prurient, sexist and demeaning begins. I felt the bust of Rashida I completed recently was OK. But this figure is not something I'm comfortable with - YMMV, of course.

20221011_180121.jpg20221011_180136.jpg20221011_180148.jpg20221011_180157.jpg20221011_180203.jpg20221011_181628.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not something I’d want to paint either, but you’ve made a nice job of it Paul. What was the sculpt like? Looks a little rough from the pictures……

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Another masterpiece Paul! I really like this, it's slightly bizarre/different and the colours are beautiful, just like the mermaid. Fabulous, full marks again! G

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks everyone.
What was the sculpt like? Looks a little rough from the pictures……
Yes Tim, it was rough. I did a lot of cleaning up, and there's still a fair bit of flash mould line on it. It was also very tricky to construct - lining up multiple snake-halves at once, etc.

And the eyes were very odd - perfect spheres adrift in the sockets. Medusa could turn people to stone with a look, of course, so I suppose the sculptor intended to give her a mad stare. It certainly made them hard to paint, as the cavity around the eyeball would fill with one colour or another, with no scope for nuanced effects. I suppose I should have done her in Grimdark fashion with glowing OSL eyes - but I wasn't prepared to invest that amount of effort in this figure , frankly.

I enjoyed painting the orange frock, mind - a good opportunity to practise painting a 'difficult' colour, on probably the best bit of sculpting on the figure. And it was a good lesson learned - a poor choice of figure will result in a poorer end result.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
In my humble opinion I think you did a fine job on this....considering you were a little "put out" with it from the start. When I see something like this I always try to see it from the "artistic" viewpoint, not focusing on the exaggerated anatomy and just really liking the way you transitioned the coloration of the scaly parts into the flesh areas. The eyes do have that sort of other worldly stare and it seems to make it all the more credible as she is drawing on her inner powers to transform the poor "Mortal" into stone.
I just hope your friend is happy with the results. :thumb2:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick.
When I see something like this I always try to see it from the "artistic" viewpoint, not focusing on the exaggerated anatomy
Spot on! When I was able to do that, I'd enjoy the painting much more, but every so often I'd notice what it was I was painting and - oh dear.

A similar thing happened when I painted Grór Goldteeth. He has a mad, malevolent stare. I'd be painting away happily when I'd suddenly catch him staring straight at me, with malice on his mind - genuinely disconcerting!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pau.
I can see your thoughts on this precisely. There comes a point where you have to decide what's acceptable . Had to smile when I read your last post about painting Grór Goldteeth when you caught him looking at you :smiling2:, a bit unnerving to say the least !
Nice work and the photo of the Vallejo bottle for size comparison really surprised me as to its size .

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Absolutely. 'G' is very impressive.
Yes, her garment rendering was exceptional. I was entranced by the snakes, as I'd never seen them presented like that before, and the overall action/pose of the two principals was great.