Masking Tape?

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi all, right i've ran out of Tamiya masking tape and because of the snow i can't get any for a while so, work on my CH-46 D has come to a standstill. Question, whats the next best thing? Can i get away with using normal masking tape? Or should i just put it to one side until i get some?

Thanks, John

PS, or should i just stick to modelling tanks lol?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It depends what you are masking John,but in my experience regular tapes tend to lift most model paints leaving you in a bit of a mess! You could try reducing its "tackiness" before using but I reckon you'd be taking a gamble.

Cheers

Steve

P.S. once you've drifted to the dark side you might never get back!!!

D

dubster72

Maybe as Steve says you could reduce the tackiness a little? I've done it before normally by sticking it to my jeans a few times but that's with Tamiya paint which is quite tough so I wouldn't like to recommend it for everyone (ooh this fence gives me splinters!).

And helicopters John? It will be Star Trek stuff next!

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Cheers Steve, it's all the glazing mate. I think i'll leave it until i get some, it's looking good so i don't what to ruin it.

Thanks again, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Maybe as Steve says you could reduce the tackiness a little? I've done it before normally by sticking it to my jeans a few times but that's with Tamiya paint which is quite tough so I wouldn't like to recommend it for everyone (ooh this fence gives me splinters!).And helicopters John? It will be Star Trek stuff next!

Patrick
Too late Patrick lol, i have the new USS Voyager in my stash but not going to be built just yet, as it will be lit up (he say with a crin on his face)

D

dubster72

lol I guessed it! Mind you, I wouldn't mind a Star Trek model, maybe the Enterprise A as that's a lovely looking ship. Don't think I could tackle lighting it though!

Patrick

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
John and Pat,

You need to be careful or it'll be Star Wars next - an' that really IS The Dark Side!

I know it's The Dark Side 'cos I was tied up over Xmas with the STAP and Battle Droid figure. All finished an' ready to photograph with my new Xmas pressie camera, I set it up on top of my 'puter to get a good light and plain background. Damn thing spun round into a dive straight into the floor just as I was setting up the camera - an' I couldn't save it as my hands were full. D'you reckon it might have been some Jedi experimenting with The Force to rid the universe of 'droids?

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
lol I guessed it! Mind you, I wouldn't mind a Star Trek model, maybe the Enterprise A as that's a lovely looking ship. Don't think I could tackle lighting it though!Patrick
I am soooo sorry Patrick but, do you mean like the 1:350 scale Polar Lights Enterprise that i've been working on for the last two years?

And this one is for Gern

Oh no, i'm on the Dark Side and i like it.

D

dubster72

That's very cool John! Was it as much work as I think it was/is? Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
It was and still is Patrick, i've got to mask that up too then spray it all black so no light can show through. Then it's play time (hopefuly), for the Sea Knight it's to one side. Had a go at masking up with normal masking tape and had to clean the glazing. Left some residue/crud on so i'm not going to wreck a good model just for a few weeks (or until the snow has gone).

John

D

dubster72

Would it not have been easier to spray the inside prior to assembly? Still, we all need something to keep us busy! I'd love to see the Enterprise when it's done.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Ha ha, i did but i didn't count on how bright the LED's were. Oh well, it'll get done sometime and i'll post too.

John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
John,

I'm well impressed! And here was me thinking you're an armour guy! Is there no end to your talents?

Is that Enterprise the 'big one' that comes out at about 3 ft long? (The one you need a second mortgage to buy?)

What size/version is your Falcon? I've got the AMT cutaway version of the Falcon and an Illuminated Star Destroyer in my stash. No prizes for guessing I'm thinking of using the lights from the Star Destroyer on my Falcon! And is it enough just to paint the inside black to stop the light shining where it shouldn't?

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
John,I'm well impressed! And here was me thinking you're an armour guy! Is there no end to your talents?

Is that Enterprise the 'big one' that comes out at about 3 ft long? (The one you need a second mortgage to buy?)

What size/version is your Falcon? I've got the AMT cutaway version of the Falcon and an Illuminated Star Destroyer in my stash. No prizes for guessing I'm thinking of using the lights from the Star Destroyer on my Falcon! And is it enough just to paint the inside black to stop the light shining where it shouldn't?

Gern
Was at Meadowhall a few years back and seen it for £30 so, i got it. The box was 18in x 18in, i thought it was something like 1:1000 scale (i was excited and didn't see 1:350 on the box). I got home and took the lid off only to find the saucer section was touching the sides so yes, IT'S THE BIG ONE lol.

The Falcon is the Revell fully painted snap-together kit but, i got two. One was to see how it all went together and how much space is in there and the other is getting lights as we speek, and it'll be repainted too.

John