Metal tubing for cannons

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I would like to use metal tubing (either brass or aluminium) for the 1/48 FW190 D-11 (and a A-8/R2 in 1/48) 20mm/30mm cannons.

Does anyone know what size tubing i would need for the 20mm/30mm cannons?

F

Fenlander

At a guess 1 to 1.5 m but they taper do they not? They can be bought from third party suppliers though.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
From what i remember German cannons were straight barrels and not tapered like their Britsih counterparts. But i may be wrong....i usually am :grinball2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi allyne , i would agree that the german cannons on the fw190 look straight not tapered, i usually replace any gun barrels i can easily get to with brass microtubing. Ive got a selection of sizes so i just tend to pick the one which looks about the same size as the plastic one im replacing ( in other words i just guess it and hope for the best!!) A great place to get the tube is an e-bay shop called folly models , i think they stock the albion alloys range of tubing , you should get what you need from them . As for the original question , i would get a few lengths (they come in foot lengths btw) of the 1.2mm and a few 1.5mm dia brass tubing and see how you go. hope this is of some use cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Tony. I'll have a look for the ebay seller you mentioned. Although i don't know how i'll get the purchase past SWMBO :twisted:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Does any one know what type of MC they had?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
It's easier to just post the link rather then type it all out lol

Focke-Wulf Fw 190 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Many Fw190A-8R2s had the cowling machine guns removed and the ports faired over. They would have been 13mm calibre (MG 131).

If you meant the Dora they also had 2x13mm machine guns in the cowl but usually only carried two cannon in the inner bays. The outer bays were still there and some (D-11?) were fitted with four cannon.

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I would like to use metal tubing (either brass or aluminium) for the 1/48 FW190 D-11 (and a A-8/R2 in 1/48) 20mm/30mm cannons.Does anyone know what size tubing i would need for the 20mm/30mm cannons?
Which D-11 are you building Allyne? I'm guessing Hoffmann's "Red 4". I think that was the only definite D-11 that they had though I know that JV44 is thought to have acquired two D-11s from the Verbandsfuehrerschule General der Jagdflieger. They had the clout to do it and its base at Bad Worlshofen wasn't too far away. They may also have acquired one or more of the prototypes,I've seen V58 mentioned.

The problem is that,depending which book you read, there was a total of 7,13 or 17 D-11s produced!!!

Once again,clear as mud.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes Steve it is Red 4 i'm building. I was going to build a D-9 and just paint it up as JV44 but this is more interesting this way.

On a side note. I got the Osprey Modelling - Modelling the FW190 A, F and G book yesterday and it's a great read. In it the author, Geoff Coughlin mentions that he uses Minimeca metal gun barrels. Will have to look that company up

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Yes Steve it is Red 4 i'm building. I was going to build a D-9 and just paint it up as JV44 but this is more interesting this way.
It sounds like a very cool project. You've probably seen this picture of a junked "Red 4"

You can see enough of the upper cowl to see it had no fuselage armament,i.e. it was a genuine D-11 whatever its provenance. According to Dietmar Hermann the D-11 was always planned as an inter-series stop gap as Focke Wulf (as they admitted in the "development schedule" ( Entwicklungsmitteilung ) couldn't start the D-12 on time for various reasons. The conformation of the D-11 was to be as follows:

Cockpit like D-9. Engine Jumo 213 F like D-12 / 13. Sonderstoffanlage ("special equipment installation") MW 50 like D-12. Armament, no weapons in the fuselage, wing roots 2 x MG 151, wing outers 2 x MK 108

Cheers

Steve (with apologies for dodgy translations of german compound nouns!)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yeah i've seen that pic but thanks for posting it Steve. Is it me or do other people geta shiver everytime i see great warbirds like these dumped on a scrap pile? What a crying shame. I'd love to own a FW190 of any mark

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
All these years on it seems a dreadful waste,like all those B-17s being put through a giant guillotine in the desert somewhere in the U.S.. There are too many pictures of literally bulldozed heaps of aircraft shoved to the side of an airfield.

Have you decided what hood you'll put on "Red 4"? If it wasn't a prototype but a production version would it have had the blown hood? I've seen a few pictures of D-11s taken at the end of the war ("White 57" and "White 61" for example) but they always appear minus a canopy!

I think I'll stick with a D-9!

Cheers

Steve