Micropore-The wonderful modellers aid.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ever heard of Micropore ? well if you have not tried this material then you are in for a treat,how did I find out about it well read on ? -

Whilst cutting some wing ribs one day I accidently sliced the side of my finger,I reached for some Micropore and placed a piece around the cut,the next thing that happened was my finger became solid and was instantly mummyfied ! I had accidently touched some cyno on my workbench which had immediately soaked into the Micropore and encapsulated my finger in the process within seconds,this agonising experience really made me think as to the uses that this material could be usefully put to.

I literally had to chisel away the block of material on my finger which showed that Micropore + Cyno = one very strong joint !

I have successfully bonded piano wire undercarriages to fuselage structures,bonded struts to tricky structures and generally used it to strengthen up those areas that are very awkward to get to,the main value apart from the strength is the light weight of this material which usually comes in a roll,it weighs nothing but imparts strength that no other material that I have dealt with can give.

The possibilities are endless as I am finding uses for it all the time.

To use just bind the part that you want,then flood it with either medium or thin cyno,a quick puff of smoke and a rock like joint will result. :spanka:

B

Bluewavestudios

Never used MicroPore but I do know hospitals use a type of Cyano Glue for cuts and it does work.

Also use Cyano for those small nicks or holes in your jeans...they won't fray again after u put cyano on the edges.....But take your jeans off first...!!!!

regards.......Mark.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You sure do like to suffer for your art!Steve.
*** Steve,the effects of dropping cyno onto clothing with them in situ is a shock to the system,the cyno goes right through the cloth and welds itself to your skin,a puff of smoke and a bit of heat that is generated tells you that a de-welding job is in hand,the two things that stick best from its use are certainly skin & cloth ! so please take care when using this volatile material,an apron is a sensible thing to wear when modelling,and watch your eyes as well,wear goggles,if the bottle clogs up dont squeeze the contents out too hard but investigate the problem and cut off a portion of the nozzle,its good stuff but you have to be careful with its use. :smile8:

G

George

Another thing about Cyno is that do not use heat [ie solder] near a cyno joint, I have on several occassions when repairing deck rails and always forgotten about the effects. Cyno + Heat = Cynanide gass, [Not nice stuff] Naughty words to the effect of Oh Dear, Oh Darn it said afterwards.

Cyno is a very handy material but watch what you do with it.

B

Bluewavestudios

George, I agree with what you say above but I know some people, myself included who have applied cyano to a joint first before soldering, it is an old tip but helps keep things in place whilst soldering. The common sense thing here is do to it in a well ventilated space, wear a mask (if necessary) and do not breath in the fumes...yes it does give out cyanide gas !!!

Regards...........Mark

A

Alun

Good one! will be trying it on bodyshells.

I would never have found that out as I would have glued the cut together first!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Good one! will be trying it on bodyshells. I would never have found that out as I would have glued the cut together first!!
*** Alun,you may need to use the odourless variety for your bodyshells,the normal variety tends to smear plastic with a white film,I would hate to hear that you have ruined a body,try on an offcut if possible first.

'Stabilit' is the best adhesive for that purpose,obtainable from model helicopter shops,they use it on the scale body conversions etc.

N

noobee captain

Another thing about Cyno is that do not use heat [ie solder] near a cyno joint' date=' I have on several occassions when repairing deck rails and always forgotten about the effects. Cyno + Heat = Cynanide gass, [Not nice stuff'] Naughty words to the effect of Oh Dear, Oh Darn it said afterwards.Cyno is a very handy material but watch what you do with it.
I always knew model making could kill you!

G

George

I always knew model making could kill you!
It's not the model making that kills. It is the wife when she learns how much it costs :rule: :rule: :rule: