Mini F Clamps

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning all. :smiling3:

For some time I have been after some small friction clamps like these from ModelsRGo.

boxtop.jpg

Unfortunately this company seem to have closed down some time ago and the clamps are like the proverbial hens teeth. I wanted some as they would be useful on occasion when you want to hold something together but not exert spring clamp pressure, for example when holding an aircraft fuselage together for gluing. The advantage of these clamps is that with only friction holding the jaws together they can be adjusted to just light finger pressure.

Every now and then I have a look online to see if any have become available or if anyone else has started making them, but to date no joy. So I decided to make one to see how difficult it would be. Turns out, not that difficult at all. This one is only a prototype with materials I had to hand, I will test it out and if it works OK will make some more, possible using aluminium for the jaws.

51825971598_9e55112a42_c.jpg

51826586070_f8cc53112c_c.jpg

No doubt for anyone with a 3D printer this would be a simple job, it took me a couple of hours in my workshop with a pillar drill, a bandsaw and a lathe. :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's brilliant. Very well done.

Andrew

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have looked at them Pete, they appeared (to me) a bit flimsy compared to the ModelsRGo version.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob. Nice ingenuity there, but they remind me of something….
Have you looked at toolmakers clamps, like these?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Tim. :smiling3:

Yep, I have considered making tool makers clamps. Because they work on a thread, if the thread is fine enough you could get some very fine control on them. Couple of potential issues, one they tend to me made entirely from metal so may be a bit heavy for modelling work, and two, they are a hell of a lot more complicated to make. :tears-of-joy:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Clever stuff. Should be useful. I suppose a big issue is the weight of the clamp especially as you only want to clamp gently, the heavier they are the more likely they may be to slip off.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Tim.

I've considered that type, always been worried of overtightening and causing damage.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Reactions: JR

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob

Maybe a problem with postage costs but Micromark have these;

clamps.jpg

Priced at $16.95 for the four.

John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Noooooo dont go there! I got given some a few years back. A very clever idea and they can push apart as well as clamp together. The grippy bits are nice and soft and conform well.
BUT the second you clamp something the designs weakness becomes apparent. Due to the single connection rod the clamps twist round and fall off. If they have the two rods like the one you made Bob they would be great. But a clamp that cant clamp is a worthless heap of :poop:.

For the intended use, I would think that some plastic profiles, a few bits of tube and a rod that fits the tube and you could knock them out easy....