Movie Memphis Belle Help

First Name
Luke
I have finally decided to resurrect my scale modelling career after some 25 years.

I got a Memphis Belle B17-F Revell kit for my birthday.

The catalyst for me getting back into it.

Although I have decided to flex the design to the “Movie” Memphis Belle. The film that defined my childhood. I have begun my research on techniques etc. Collating reference material.

However I have one niggling worry. From what I can see the camo colour is referred to as an olive dab (usaf).

However from looking at photos and moving images is that the camo colour is a much more browney green rather than the olive green.

Can anyone advise me on an alternative colour that would be in keeping with my final goal? If possible please recommend paint make and product codes as the options are quite overwhelming.

Thank you in advanced. Luke.

Attachments

• IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 19

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Olive drab is not olive green :smiling3: This is a common misconception, but in fact OD is more like brown with a green hue, than it is military green.

What you want for this model is probably any model paint labelled as Olive Drab No. 41. This is available from a bunch of different model paint brands, so I suspect you can find one of a type you like.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
If you are building the film version of the MB remember to change the nose art. The artist, Ithink it was Philip Castle, deliberately changed the design to differentiate from the original.

IMG_0615.jpegIMG_0614.png

Peter

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
View attachment 507084View attachment 507085Coincidentally, I was looking at Memphis Belle yesterday in the USAF museum in Dayton. I’ll be going back again this week if there is anything you’d like a photo of.
Peter is spot on about the nose art colours.

Current (and perhaps correct) nose art in these photos.
Nice, but a shame it's been restored and not preserved in its original state