Mr Color Aqueous, my opinion

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon, yet another of my mind numbing reviews, remember my opinion!

Picked up a bottle as i wanted to compare against Mr Color lacquer
20221112_112708.jpg
Like Tamiya it say acrylic but it's not

I had read that it has virtually the same ingredients as Tamiya and the smell is very similar to Tamiya, not unpleasant and certainly a lot better than Mr Color!

Tried on 2 plastic spoons, one not primed and the other primed with my favourite Mr Surfacer 1500, grey and thinned as usual to 50/50 with Mr Color levelling thinner. Sprayed 2 thin coats at 18 psi.

Not sure if the dedicated Aqueous thinner smells as strong as the lacquer thinner or is less pongy. But I have full bottle of thinner and Tamiya lacquer thinner to use up. However will get a bottle to use and then use up the lacquer thinners to clean the airbrush, will save on buying liquid reamer!

20221112_115901.jpg
The one on the left is unprimed, you can see a clear difference between the spoons, the right hand spoon is primed and has a richer darker finish.
20221112_115931.jpg
I dried with a hair dryer then applied Mr Color lacquer varnish.

I read that there's no problem using the lacquer thinners, paint, or varnish and they are correct, perfect, no issues.

Very, very impressed, sprayed so well just like Mr Color. Dried well lovely smooth finish. Big reduction in the smell but like Tamiya smells a bit.

Will look to switch to this.

Hope you are well asleep by now lol

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Afternoon, yet another of my mind numbing reviews, remember my opinion!

Picked up a bottle as i wanted to compare against Mr Color lacquer
View attachment 467079
Like Tamiya it say acrylic but it's not

I had read that it has virtually the same ingredients as Tamiya and the smell is very similar to Tamiya, not unpleasant and certainly a lot better than Mr Color!

Tried on 2 plastic spoons, one not primed and the other primed with my favourite Mr Surfacer 1500, grey and thinned as usual to 50/50 with Mr Color levelling thinner. Sprayed 2 thin coats at 18 psi.

Not sure if the dedicated Aqueous thinner smells as strong as the lacquer thinner or is less pongy. But I have full bottle of thinner and Tamiya lacquer thinner to use up. However will get a bottle to use and then use up the lacquer thinners to clean the airbrush, will save on buying liquid reamer!

View attachment 467081
The one on the left is unprimed, you can see a clear difference between the spoons, the right hand spoon is primed and has a richer darker finish.
View attachment 467082
I dried with a hair dryer then applied Mr Color lacquer varnish.

I read that there's no problem using the lacquer thinners, paint, or varnish and they are correct, perfect, no issues.

Very, very impressed, sprayed so well just like Mr Color. Dried well lovely smooth finish. Big reduction in the smell but like Tamiya smells a bit.

Will look to switch to this.

Hope you are well asleep by now lol
I wouldn't switch too quickly Bob...
.... Someone else will bring out a "Better" set of paints next week!!...
Just use what you have... You seem to have made some pretty good models with those!! ;)
Just saying like.....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I wouldn't switch too quickly Bob...
.... Someone else will bring out a "Better" set of paints next week!!...
Just use what you have... You seem to have made some pretty good models with those!! ;)
Just saying like.....
Do not keep a lot in stock, will use these for the next build, now if AK real colours added more naval paint there may be a problem, nice one though lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice review Bob.

I have a few of these, and a few lacquer as well. I use them pretty much indiscriminately along with Tamiya, all diluted with Mr levelling thinner…..all behave impeccably through an airbrush. Though I find Mr Color acrylics need a little more thinning to get a smooth finish.

Your colour difference on the spoons is due to most reds usually being a semi transparent pigment. The grey therefore adds depth. You would get a similar depth of finish if you used a red oxide primer. White primer tends to make reds look garish to me, they get over brightened.

By the way, they are acrylics ;)….the acrylic “tab” refers to the pigment binder. This is the bit that holds the colour pigment in place when the solvent carrier evaporates. The binder is what defines the paint type, not the solvent carrier.
The solvent carrier is the bit that keeps the binder fluid until you want it to dry. Carrier solvents can be water, alcohol, turps, lacquer thinner, or what have you.

The carrier doesn’t define the paint type, as I said, which is why you can have Tamiya type alcohol based paint and Vallejo type water based paint both being labelled as acrylic. In both cases the binder is acrylic, though they are formulated differently to work with their respective carriers, and the carriers stop them being intermixed.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ive recently started using the mr hobby myself and am quite impressed, ive got about 20 in the collection now and as i use up the vallejo im replacing them with these.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just bought from John
20221115_123626.jpg
No where near as smelly as the usual Mr Hobby levelling thinner. Will use on my recent stuff