my first Spity

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all this is my first Spity so need lots of help she comes from the British legends set and I want to get the two small planes right before i start the Lancaster

L

Laurie

Great start KP. The first, I found, is the most difficult. This is especially as there is so much to learn in the short time of construction and wanting to get on to model 2.

On the photography I would think you would get improved results by taking the photos just using daylight either out side or coming through the window. It will take away the glare back.

Good result on my first i actually bought replica to finish the original. Still on my shelf.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi guys I have put the decals on now all i have to do is to weather it, i don't have any weathering products is there a home made version like i don't know thinning black paint down as SWMBO says i have had enough spent on model stuff to last me a month.

S

spongtastic

Nice build! I've found the following in answer to your questions

Photos? just take them with the model on A3 white paper or lining paper. Most kits look better in photos with aMatt finish. I use Valejo, seems to work with a brush.

Weathering products? Cheap lidl chalk pastels, watercolours or pound shop eye shadow. Lidl acrylics also work well as a heavy surface grime.

Your yellow also looks like it needs to be mixed a bit more? Not a criticism just something I've fallen foul of.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thats what I use is thinned down, browns, black , and what ever color your thing off using ,so its a translucent wash, maybe do a few time,

use black for were the smoke comes out off the exhaust pipes, and a little wear , were the pilot would get in and out, and maybe some on the leading edge of the wings,

make it a bit faded ,hope this is some help,

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks for your comments and advice I will give them a go tomorrow

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As Laurie points out, daylight will make the image look crisper, even if it overcast. Flash photography kills the image, too much bounce back and bleaching. Back to your model, very nice, I think aircraft can be one of the more challenging areas of modelling-well for me anyway, so well done on that front. The painting-the underside looks barren so maybe some highlights in the wheel wells etc-again though this could be the flash from the camera bleaching out the true colour.

Weathering: you can use anything, water down black and grey to make a light streak from the exhaust area, bit darker on the gun-ports. If you have silver, then you can dry brush areas around the canopy, wing root-where the pilot gets in and out, leading edge of the wing etc. Just lightly do it.

Si:smiling3: