Nearest Vallejo to Humbrol 78: Cockpit Green?

S

Stevekir

I would like to stick to Vallejo, (preferably Air but there seems not to be a suitable one).

The nearest that I can find is a mixture of Model Color "German Camo. Bright Green", 70.833, and Model Color "German Field Green WWII", 70.830.

I am assuming that Model Color can be airbrushed when thinned. Is that true?

Thanks.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
For me it is 71095, backed up by Vallejo's RAF colour guide leaflet.

Remember there was variation in this shade during the war anyway and, while it seems a touch on the light/bright side, once you have done a wash and weathered it, it does look just right.

The colour mentioned by Allyne is the USAAF Interior green.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just a thought, further to the above. For US built RAF aircraft the US Interior Green would be correct. Something In forgot with my Kittyhawk!!

Apparently the RAF cockpit green was manufactured by a number of different companies and appeared in several different shades. Some of the Federal Standard equivalents associated with these are:

FS34227

FS34226

FS34373

FS34128

The 71.095 is FS34227

FS34128 is 71.096 Vallejo

The US Interior Green, 71.010 is FS24151

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Steve I used to get tied in knots about colours.

How much is going to show when finished was my first thought.

I bet if you put 1 of 10 close shades of green on you would not know the difference one to the other.

Similar with Black for instance on a Lancaster. I use the next one up in Vallejo from black German Panzer I think. Some tint with a bit of red in the black. In the end the idea is to set the colour realistic to the size of the model compared to the original.

If you look at a Lancaster at a distance it looks a darkish grey not black. Also thinking about the next time I use white it is so stark so I think I will experiment to bring it down a shade as I think it will look more realistic.

Also the white light reading in the morning is different to Lunch time & tea time. The colours will all look different at these times of day. Mornings it has a slight red & tea time (you will always get the best video film) a nice slight honey tinge.

This has probably confused the issue Steve. My apologies but it is worth knowing.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

Flounder_al:

Model Air 71.010 is probably a bit khaki.

---------------------------

BarryW:

Vallejo's Equivalent Values chart (Humbrol <=> Model Air):

does not give a Model Air equivalent for Humbrol 78 (Cockpit green).

From the Villejo Model Air chart, 71.095 (Pale Green) is much lighter than Humbrol 78 and a less intense green.

But I couldn't find anything called called Vallejo's RAF colour guide leaflet. Where would I find it please?

Of your FS suggestions, 34227 is listed by Vallejo's model-air.pdf:

as "Pale Green", being Model air 2X006+1X048 which at a guess looks right although being listed as "Pale" green it might not be.

I can be obsessive when I try but I will probably just brush on some Humbrol 78 and clothespeg my nose as I do it.

Laurie:

Just seen your post. Yes. Exactly.

Thanks for the help.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Just a thought, further to the above. For US built RAF aircraft the US Interior Green would be correct. Something In forgot with my Kittyhawk!!
Wouldn't that depend on date Barry. US manufacturers produced aircraft for the British in equivalent colours.

As far as the original question goes I would say that whilst it's not worth going mad about colour, a US Interior Green,whatever version,will be much too green to be anything like the British interior colour.

That Vallejo 71095 looks much to green on my monitor,but I've not seen it "in the flesh". Here's an example of the original colour on an unrestored airframe.

Cheers

Steve

S

Stevekir

I have just noticed from their chart that Humbrol's 78 Cockpit Green is also made in acrylic. So I'll go for that.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I have the same problem as you Steve. I use Vallejo, but still use H78 for my cockpits ! I like Vallejo, but finding their equivalent paints can be a bit of a pain.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Steve. The chart is not on their website. I obtained mine direct from Vallejo, I emailed them with a query about colours (Slate Grey) and they sent it to me along with a whole load of other leaflets and information on US and Luftwaffe colours included. It carries extensive explanations for RAF schemes throughout the war and relates them to their paints.

Yes - your are right it is not in the 'equivalence' chart but these always need to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway. Sometimes they are a long way off.

My email is down at the moment. I will scan my RAF Colours leaflet and email it to you when it is back up and running, an IT man is coming to the office this morning. Send me a PM with an email address and I will get the scan to you as soon as possible.

T

tecdes

Steve the Vallejo charts etc Barry talks about can be viewed & downloaded from the Vallejo site. Believe from memory they come up as PDF,s so you can print easily. There is so much info on this site you have to delve a bit to find it at times. They also have a first class customer service.

Downloads.

The Q & A is a good one to look at it gives an incredible amount of information in an easy style.

If you look at the leaflet on Model Air near the top of the page they have lists of what they recommend for RAF USA etc in common colours used in WW11.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Laurie - not all of them are on the site, certainly not the RAF one I am speaking about. I did check before posting.

T

tecdes

Actually Barry I was using it yesterday for Lysander colours & was mystified until I realised you have to go to page 2.

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/4bf0e495831a39049fed1398807fde52/model-air.pdf

I just wonder if we are talking about different things here ?

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It is indeed different Laurie. A leaflet dedicated to RAF and FAA colours.

T

tecdes

That is interesting Barry & thanks. What is the leaflet called so that I can request one.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
WWII British Aircraft Colours RAF-FAA Laurie.

PM me your email and I will send you a scan, it is done and ready.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just a quick public thank you to Barry for sorting that out for me (and it looks like some others!)

Good stuff and much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Yes add my thanks to Steve's (Stona) for all the trouble you are taking to sort this Barry.

Good forum stuff.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You are welcome - it is a mine of information.