new member and first diorama

S

sjefke

hi folks,

so i'm starting my first ever diorama, i bought myself one of these: http://www2.gpmd.com/image/t/tams2014.jpg

i've pretty much finished assembly, apart from some extra things like ammo cases and whatnot, and then i can start painting.

there was one mistake i made though, i glued the wheels and tracks to the body, realising this would be very hard to paint because of the interlapped wheels, i took it off and added some greenstuff to the gap it left (the removal process wasn't exactly... gracious) so right now that's drying, gonna sand it off tomorrow and put some paint on it hopefully.

In the meanwhile i thought i'd start on the base for the diorama, now i don't have a clue about what base the base should have (if im making sense) the obvious choice would be some sort of nice wooden plate, with an engraved edge and whatnot, except that i don't have one of those, instead i have just normal planks of wood. is there a way to make it look just as good without getting too expensive? (something like an even edge, nice and smooth)

i'll upload some pics once i have something worth showing, which will probably be tomorrow.

I've got one more question though, i've been painting warhammer models for a few years now, when i painted metallics on those, i just grabbed one of the metallic paints and smeared it on. With the scale models i want to put some more effort in it. i've read about using graphite, but i dont have the slightest clue about how that goes and what it would do.

anyway, wall of text over, there'll be some pictures up soon hopefully.

greetings,

sjefke

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome to the forum sjefke. If you want a nice base for your dioramas go to Wilkinsons, Costcutter or the Poundshop and get yourself some cheap picture frames. All sorts of sizes.....

Sorry, can't help with your painting question, but someone will be along soon I'm sure!

Cheers,

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I couldn't see the link as it says forbidden :sad:

S

sjefke

http://plasticmodelworld.com/images/1310418818740-978849965.jpeg

this one should work.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum sjefke you could also use cheap beading the type you put on windows etc around the edge of your dio base

S

sjefke

some progress, finished assembly on the model and base, and put the basecoat on the model, now i need to find a way to properly weather the model. does anyone have any good online guides that show it clearly?