New member needs guidance please.

A

al shookup

Hello all..I have just bought my first plastic model since I was a child (I am almost 70 now and have bought the Academy model 1/400 Titanic.

Wondering what I have taken on as a beginner? No paints or glue included in kit (made in Korea) so need guidance.

Should I use enamel or acrylic?

Would brushing spoil the effect or do I have to invest in spray cans for best results (e.g. Hull section)?

Any recommendations on best adhesive?

Best UK on-line site to purchase paints and adhesive etc?

Any other suggestions?

thanks for any help received.

T

tecdes

Hi Keith and welcome to the show.

Best would be an airbrush but there is some cost there as you need a compressor.

I would start with acrylics as they are easier from my experience. Tried enamels when I started but found them difficult.

Cannot help on spray cans except in the long run they are expensive.

Top of the page Scale Model Shop. John the person who runs the forum also runs the shop. Order something & you will get it the day before you ordered it.

Laurie

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Seconded re the recommendation for dealing with Scale Model Shop, it was born from this forum and holds the same qualities, honesty, friendliness and great service.

As for what paint, that is one of those modellers eternal questions. Most but certainly not all, prefer to use the cleaner acrylic paints, especially for airbrushing as they are easy to clean up from the airbrush after use. Many are still dedicated to the pure oil quality of enamels. They do spray well and tend to brush paint better than some acrylics. However, good brush painting is a skill that I have seen demonstrated so well on this forum but I appear to be incapable of achieving.

As Laurie points out, an airbrush and compressor is a big financial outlay but, assuming you do a lot of modelling over the coming years, a good investment. Spraying models from spray cans is a good way to get a good finish without great outlay. With something like the Titanic, I would be looking at three colours in spray cans; black, white and hull red. Using masking tape these colours could be layered on and then carefully painting the deck with a brush and some buff paint. Ships are not the easiest models to paint.

Try not to get bogged down in trying to get every modelling tool and paraphernalia straight away. All you need is a good knife, a few sanding sticks such as emery boards from the nail section of the supermarket beauty stand. A decent liquid or thicker modelling glue such as Humbrol liquid Poly or Humbrol/Revell Precision Poly. a few good brushes, paint of your choice and thinners for the paint. This will either be something like white spirit for enamels. For Acrylic, you can use water or the manufactures own thinners.

OK, there will be more to come but initially, try to build your first model for the fun of it. Don't try to build it as a masterpiece. For all the tips and advice you will inevitably be offered on here, you main learning will be by building a kit and learning from your mistakes, it is how we all did it. Maybe you may consider getting something a bit simpler than the Titanic just as something to try out techniques and learn even more questions to ask.

Just take your time, ask as many questions as you want and be prepared to work your way through contradictory answers, we all have our own ways of working as you will yourself as you get into it. Read as many posts as you can on here and try to find patterns of working that make sense to you. Above all, have fun Keith.

First Name
Michael
Hi Keith, welcome to the forum.

First don't panic, it probably looks like a lot of plastic bit right now. I use Revell Contacta glue for general kit building and find it fine, you can buy brush applied but I'd be tempted to get the one in a touch and flow bottle.

Painting, I use acrylic, it suits me better but you will find others who prefer enamel, it's really a case of try it and see. I have used the odd can of spray in the past, in fact I still prime my models with a rattle can spray, and find them good for large surfaces, perhaps the hull of your Titanic.

There is an investment cost if you choose to go down the airbrush route, But check out local ads I got mine on Gumtree for £20 and its great. There are guys on this forum who do amazing work with brushes and prove it's not essential.

As Laurie says check out Johns shop at the top of the page, everything he sells is top notch.

Great to have aboard. Michael

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Keith welcome to the forum. Cant really add anything to laurie and grahams excellent replies , just adding another recommendation for the scale-models online shop and seconding grahams suggestion of trying a simpler kit before jumping in the deep end with the big titanic. have a good look round and dont be afraid to ask anything youre not sure about, cheers tony

T

TonyBv9

Lots of good advice here. If you're feeling daunted by the Titanic model, maybe you could get something cheaper to practise on?

I started again a little while ago, and my first three models were around £5, which was good, as I made a lot of mistakes.

I brush paint with acrylics, because I prefer to have water-washable brushes, and don't have anywhere for spraying. If you go down this route, I would recommend Vallejo Model Color paints.

I use a spray can primer.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi Keith and welcome to the forum.

Can't add anything to the tips and advice from the other guys, I tried to start big and failed, then went to small and cheap and learned how, and what works for me. I learn best by doing and making mistakes, sometimes more than once.

Best advice I got mate other than have fun.

tony.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Only one thing to add to the excellent comments made so far.

It doesn't matter what you do with your first kit - it won't be as perfect as you'd like it to be! Nor will your second, or third ..... etc. (Which is why a lot of guys start with smaller kits or use them to practise new techniques).

All you can do with each kit you build is try to make it better than the last one. Do that and you've won 'cos I think it's that process of improvement that is where the real satisfaction and enjoyment comes from.

I'll also second the comments about the shop.

Gern

PS Welcome aboard.

T

tecdes

I go with that Dave just what I experienced & still form that point if view.

Gets harder as you want to improve on the improved standard you have achieved. My god model making is near to hell.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Welcome Keith.

I second the suggestion of Vallejo acrylics. If you use the hairy stick then their Model Colour range are ideal, if you do invest in an airbrush then their Model Air range are the best you can get for beginners use. I have not used rattle cans, though I tried it with primer once and found that there was a lack of control that made it difficult to use. If you do intend to really get into modelling then investing in a cheap airbrush/compressor kit would be worthwhile and you can upgrade your purchase if you want to at a later date. If you do go down that airbrush route then you will need to practise, practise and practice before using it on a model.

I also recommend John's shop - he provides a brilliant service with good prices.

Another good point someone made I would like to reinforce. Get some cheap simple kits first to practise on before doing your Titanic.

Above all - do ask for help on here. There are lots of people only to willing to share their experiences and help. Some of it will be contradictory though as we all have our 'strange ways' and you need to find what suits you.

A

al shookup

Thank you tecdes for your guidance ...I will have a look at the shop on this site.

A

al shookup

Thank you all for your welcoming words and valuable advice. I have a smaller model which i will start on first as per your suggestions.

J

johnpipe108

\ said:
I go with that Dave just what I experienced & still form that point if view.Gets harder as you want to improve on the improved standard you have achieved. My god model making is near to hell.

Laurie
I'm glad you expressed that, as I have sometimes felt like, "Is it just me?" Good to have feedback on that, helps prevent getting too easily discouraged as I've just dipped my toes into the airbrush end of things as well, plus still have my "first" kit to get back to work on!

And welcome from me too, Keith, sounds like we are about the same age, and I just got "back" to models a few short years ago!

John

Last edited:
M

m1ks

As others have said, welcome, post up pics of your build and ask questions, this is truthfully, the friendliest forum I've ever used, (I'm a member of several covering modelling and motorbikes mainly).

You won't find any sniping or nastiness here, if you want honest critique for improvement and ideas, ask and you will get that, my interest here, (and I think I speak for the majority of the forum), is helping and encouraging any and all people in this great, relaxing and fascinating hobby.

Look forward to seeing your work.

Mike