New Release Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson

C

Caledonia

I understand this kit will be released in March 2015 with a suggested retail price of $399.95 (US). An unusual choice for so expensive a kit. What do you think? Derek

View attachment 94758

hmsn[1].jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think it's a Great big British battleship. A bit expensive but bring it on. the more the better.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
yes indeed, and probably the most easily identified battleship class ever designed.....

But for that sort of money....Forget it! - Even half the suggested r.r.p. wouldn't come close to tempting li'll ol' me.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I never understood the reasoning behind the Nelson class , a really long forecastle ( fokesul) and three main turrets at the front but none at the back , thing is the middle turret was higher than the other two so the third turret was pretty useless as that could only Fire from port and starboard also it was very vulnerable from astern

I'll be looking to get it :smiling3:

S

steve scan

I am up for this, always hoped they would do a 1/350 scale one.

C

Caledonia

Hannants now have it listed. Derek

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=&keyword_search=hms+nelson&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I never understood the reasoning behind the Nelson class , a really long forecastle ( fokesul) and three main turrets at the front but none at the back , thing is the middle turret was higher than the other two so the third turret was pretty useless as that could only Fire from port and starboard also it was very vulnerable from asternI'll be looking to get it :smiling3:
The reasoning behind the design is the Washington treaty for the limitation of naval armament of 1922. If I understand correctly the design was the best way to get 9 16in guns and the requisite armour within the tonnage limitation of the treaty.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
The reasoning behind the design is the Washington treaty for the limitation of naval armament of 1922. If I understand correctly the design was the best way to get 9 16in guns and the requisite armour within the tonnage limitation of the treaty.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the original design called for turrets at the stern as well but they were removed because of the size/weight limitations imposed by this treaty.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the original design called for turrets at the stern as well but they were removed because of the size/weight limitations imposed by this treaty.
You could well be correct, the original design was 48,000 tons and had to be less than 35,000 tons under the treaty, part of that was done by getting fuel oil and water exempted from the tonnage, partly this was done to keep secret the fact that the Royal Navy was using a unique anti torpedo armour with a water filled section between two layers of plate to deaden the impact.