newbie research needing help !!!

E

eyesblue36

hi all maybe a common question but after probably 30 years away from modelling id like to dip my toes back in the water but crikey hasnt it all changed!!!! rather than simply rushing out and buying and building something id probably be dissapointed in i would like to read and or watch dvd's etc about the new techniques and equipment etc that would enable me to build something id be proud of, can anyone help with somewhere to start??? im in suffolk btw

many thanks

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi and welcome to the forum eyesblue36.

Sorry to be formal but you didn't leave your name.

I'm a recent returnee after many years away, and I felt much the same as you at the start too.

But theres no better way of learning than making your own mistakes, I know, got the hat!

There are many people on this site with loads of experience, willing to share and encourage, just look around.

The best advice I ever received was "just do it and have fun"

Hope to see your work on here sometime soon.

Regards,

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
Have a look on Youtube at 'Testors scale workshop','Promodeller' and 'Florymodels'.Some interesting stuff on modelling teqniques.

E

eyesblue36

alan btw !!! someone in sp models suggested a tamiya book that sells for around £15 looking for what equipment or tools as well as filling and airbrush techniques etc

cheers chaps

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Alan, try the tutorials section of this site and youtube like Dave says.

Tony.

B

Brickie

I've also learned a lot by watching the works in progress in the "Under Construction" section and asking questions.

What part of Suffolk, by the way?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello Alan and a warm welcome to this most wonderful of Forums!

What advise to give? It's a big answer and everyone will have a different take on it.

Personally, I have never read a book or watched a D.V.D. on model making. I'm not knocking them as I'm sure they make for good reading....It's just that I far prefer the 'jump in and learn from my mistakes.' attitude. If mistakes are made then having the balls to be not bothered about having to ask how to avoid a re-occurance is the way to go...

This place is full of people more than ready to help.

Looking at near perfect models in publications and trying to copy them can only leads to frustration, far better get hold of some cheap 1/72 models, get your paints out and have a go.....Practice and more practice!

The one top piece of advise already given to you is... Have fun, laugh at your mistakes, but learn from them and don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how basic you might think they are....

Cheers,

Ron

You will get better with each build.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I can only echo what Ron has said above. Learning from your mistakes is the easiest way to progress. Don't get me wrong though. I still trawl through youtube and online websites regarding techniques. The advice from other members on here has also proved to be invaluable to me since i returned to model making.

I do have some books regarding how to do things but doing it yourself is the best way in my opinion.

With help from the guys on here and other areas you'll see your model making techniques come on leaps and bounds. I know i have.

Most of all though.... have fun. On here we are not here to critisise every mistake or technique you use. The primary goal is for you to enjoy and have fun. We share your frustrations and give encouragement. This way when you finish your model. Even if you know it may not be up to 'show standards' at least you had fun getting there.

Oh and welcome to the best forum on the net Alan :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
All good advice above. I believe John sells some 'how to' DVDs at the scale-models shop as well.

I have to say,useful as they may be,there is no substitute for having a go. Ron suggests a few small scale (1/72) relatively cheap models to cut your teeth on which is a good idea,though slightly larger 1/48 kits can also be had without selling a kidney. I would counsel against diving straight in on one of the Tamiya superkits or some exotic limited run effort,not least of all because they are an expensive mistake if you do mess up!

Noone here will give a condescending reply to any question,however basic it may seem. Often seemingly simple questions are infact not so easy at all. You can confidently ask anything,or even post a piccy, and expect a helpful and polite reply. This isn't the sort of forum where someone will answer "google is your friend" thank heavens.

Welcome aboard and happy modelling.

Steve

E

eyesblue36

thanks again guys, im nr diss but in silly suffolk for those that asked, wil have a look at the suggestions and maybe a practice model as well any thoughts on initial tools required?? is it best to buy a kit of tools or single items?? airbrush reqd??? (i do like gadgets!!!!)

A

andyrobs

Hi Alan, welcome to the forums mate, nice to see another suffolk lad on here!!!!

Plenty of great advice from everyone elso already, for initial tools I'd recommend a good craft knife, something for sanding, a pair of tweezers for small work, most of these you can get in poundland so you don't need to go out getting what could be an expensive tool kit. I'd advise brush painting to start, get some experience of building and painting, then think about an airbrush in the future. Remember if you blow loadsa money then find things aren't what you remember and expected you might regret it!!!!

Hope I've been a little help, cheers, Andrew

B

Brickie

Ah, Diss. The magical vanishing town near the Norfolk border. As you come over the hill, you can see the town Diss appearing before your very eyes.

E

eyesblue36

ah yes and the charity shops stretch out in front of you as they fill most of the town these days !!!!

E

eyesblue36

i guess i will just have to jump in!! any thoughts on where tho?? as in manufacturer?? scale??? am into anything german ww2, more tanks than planes but as long as it's german (ultimate would be one of the working u boats but lets walk first lol)

B

Brickie

Model what interests you, first and foremost. 1/72 is a good place to start IMHO as the kits are reasonably cheap so you can get some practice in before wrecking something pricey :smiling3:

I'm more an aeroplane builder so I don't really know about good kits on the armour side of things. Tamiya are generally good, I think, and seem to have a good range.

TBH, you'll not run out of kits if you want to build German WW2 tanks - in fact many people moan about how hard it is to find anything else...

L

Lancasterb1

\ said:
i guess i will just have to jump in!! any thoughts on where tho?? as in manufacturer?? scale??? am into anything german ww2, more tanks than planes but as long as it's german (ultimate would be one of the working u boats but lets walk first lol)
Hi and welcome to the forum as already mentioned. You ask about scales to work with, If you go to the 1/72 scale first, can I suggest and this is only a suggestion that if you are looking at aircraft, then purchase the Tamiya 1/72 scale warbirds. These are excellently molded and vey detailed for their size, unlike some of the older Airfix kits, which can be very basic. If you want a crack at some Armour, then try the Academy range or the Revell range, these are not overly expensive, but with a little work they can turn out to be very nice builds...........

Look forward to seeing some of the completed work as and when? Happy modelling

Andy

P

pneupack

Hi

All good answers above, new myself to this as some have said learn yourself and get the hands dirty : ). I bought a Tamiya Challenger and just went for it was well pleased with the result got a lot of feed back from the guys on this site they were very kind with the comments and gave me convidence with the new hooby ; ) and with the awesome builds you can look at gives you a lot of ideas everyone is different and that makes it exciting trying different things out yourself and using anything that comes to hand and with ebay, Amazon, Google, etc you can pick up some books etc if you want along the way. Good luck mate on your builds looking forward to seeing some of your work. It is hard sometimes for me to get the time with work etc but I am starting my second model Academy Tiger so going to have fun no matter what it turns out like at least it will be my mess : ) the weathering is the fun part some awesome examples on this site. Plus the shop here has a lot of stuff to look through. At the moment I stick with 1/35 scale Tanks, Armour, but hope to expand but might need an extension onto the house : ).

:smile1:Cheers

Robert

Last edited:
E

eyesblue36

still looking ... but i have bought a book and enjoyed reading it "painting & finishing techniques" by osprey publishing, although the finishing in the book looks a bit daunting to a beginner, really like the airbrush seems essential for an authentic paint job, have left hints with father christmas lol