Old Black & Whites

First Name
Gregg
Recently an old mate of mine started posting some of his fathers photo's on our local Hull forum.

I hadn't realised that his father had been an avid photographer, and had literally thousands of photo's in his collection.

He has allowed me to copy several of these so, I thought some of them may be of interest to our forum.

View attachment 74191

View attachment 74192

View attachment 74193

View attachment 74194

View attachment 74195

View attachment 74196

View attachment 74197

View attachment 74198

Visitors on the balcony of airship.jpg

View from the balcony inside airship.jpg

Spitfire at the Battle of Britain Spitfire Exhibition.jpg

Plane crated on top of a lorry (owned by Super marine Aircraft), arriving at Albert Dock, Hull..jpg

Major cottons plane  hull docks.jpg

Howden Airship Hanger Inside.jpg

Howden Airship Hanger.jpg

Image of a people stood around a tank in a residential street. Post World War One..jpg

C

CDW

Thanks for that Gregg, you can't have too much of this soft of stuff, any more?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good stuff. I was fascinated by the aeroplane on the Supermarine truck and being off loaded at the docks. It's a Bellanca CH-300 'Pacemaker', made in Italy in 1930 and still carrying its original Italian registration I-AAPI. This aircraft was re-registered in the UK as G-ABNW in August 1932 which might date the photographs. It survived at least until it could join WW2 with the serial DZ209 but I haven't had time to go any further.

Anybody know which airship that might be?

Cheers

Steve

Edit. This is incredible.....that Bellanca was owned and flown by none other than Major Sidney Cotton! A remarkable man, best known in the UK for his efforts in camouflage (he more or less invented camotint/Sky which many will have applied to their models) and photo reconnaissance, but there is far more.

That aircraft was shipped to Iceland and would have been used in an attempt to find and rescue Augustine Courtauld, had he not been found by an overland rescue party. I suspect that this is sometime later and I wouldn't mind a bet that the aeroplane is still painted red.

What amazing photographs, there is quite a story to be told about that little aeroplane!

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Good stuff. I was fascinated by the aeroplane on the Supermarine truck and being off loaded at the docks. It's a Bellanca CH-300 'Pacemaker', made in Italy in 1930 and still carrying its original Italian registration I-AAPI. This aircraft was re-registered in the UK as G-ABNW in August 1932 which might date the photographs. It survived at least until it could join WW2 with the serial DZ209 but I haven't had time to go any further.Anybody know which airship that might be?

Cheers

Steve

Edit. This is incredible.....that Bellanca was owned and flown by none other than Major Sidney Cotton! A remarkable man, best known in the UK for his efforts in camouflage (he more or less invented camotint/Sky which many will have applied to their models) and photo reconnaissance, but there is far more.

That aircraft was shipped to Iceland and would have been used in an attempt to find and rescue Augustine Courtauld, had he not been found by an overland rescue party. I suspect that this is sometime later and I wouldn't mind a bet that the aeroplane is still painted red.

What amazing photographs, there is quite a story to be told about that little aeroplane!
I was aware of it's history and major Cottons relevance, that is why I had decided to post. I have the Kindle version of

'Sidney Cotton The last Plane Out of Berlin' as the book itself is selling for ridiculously silly prices.

the photo depicts the aircraft being loaded aboard the Icelandic Steamer 'DETTIFOSS' in august 1932, destination Reyjavick .

What an interesting man, Spy, Entrepreneur, Inventor, Aviator, Bounder, Opportunist, Businessman an all-rounder to say the least!

A very interesting read I would recommend to anyone interested in that era!

Gregg

S

Stevekir

Interesting pictures. The view inside the airship reminded me of an article I read that stated that the gas bags were made of cows innards, joined together!

P

Polux

Thanks for share this pictures with us, are very interesting!!!

A

Andy Mac

Wow! fantastic photos. There's something about vintage monochrome photos that tell so much, and have bags of atmosphere. More recent colour photos just have "that certain something" missing.

Thanks for sharing them Gregg.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb history and great pictures, many thanks for sharing.

Si:smiling3: