Orc Fury

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Not had the wet pallette out for an age and had this in a drawer even longer, Scale75s Shargh Orc Fury, a 75mm white metal kit.
Assembled and primed at this stage, going to use Scale 75s own brand of paint on this as I've heard the gel based paint is pretty nice to use.
IMG_20220730_103145.jpgIMG_20220730_103155.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I've never painted any of these "fantasy" figures but I've often been impressed with what others have achieved. I'll enjoy seeing how it's done.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I've never painted any of these "fantasy" figures but I've often been impressed with what others have achieved. I'll enjoy seeing how it's done.
The best thing is no button counters, it's fantasy no one can say your vision is wrong.
As mentioned above am using Scale 75s own brand of paint. This is gel based and can be thinned with water down to a glaze for brush painting, apparantly has a slower drying time so can be blended on the figure too.
IMG_20220823_121048.jpg
The insert recomends starting with the highlight colour and layer into the shadows, I would normally build up highlights but I'll give it a go, so here is Shargh with the first layer of paint on.
IMG_20220823_121028.jpg

Went on quite smoothly, though appears very transparent, this is over Tamiyas Grey primer and I got to thinking "How will these fair over black?" so........
IMG_20220823_121125.jpg

This is just one layer over Mr Surfacer 1500 black, would probably airbrush this if I had the correct thinners, will maybe try on another orcish subject.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks more interesting over black Karl. Over the grey it looks a bit too “Kermit” for my tastes. Mind you, the one on the scale 75 box looks a lot like an unshelled mutant ninja turtle :tongue-out3:
From a technical point of view, how does it brush? I’ve got darkstar metallics, which are gel based, and I like them a lot. Great range of golds, for example. Not so easy to do subtle blending stuff with them though. I use Vallejo metal colors for that, but though they have loads of silver shades, they are very lacking in the gold/copper range.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Looks.....
Brushes quite well, I imagine it'll take a bit of playing with to get the hang of adding water properly, seems to need to be well mixed rather than just wetting the brush.
In the flesh it doesn't look as nice over the black, a bit uneven, but refer back to my comment about the water.
It is a bit jarring seeing the highlight colour over the entire figure, but it should come down as the shading layers are applied, I've never tried this approach usually starting with the mud and layer to both shadows and highlights or starting from the shade and building up to high from there. But it's the recommended process so......if it doesn't work at least it's a metal kit and easy cleaned.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Always work inside to outside and shade to top highlights myself as well. It will be interesting to see how this approach develops Karl.