Paint removal and kit restoration

W

wbk666

well after reading about various concoctions to strip paint i thought i'd try something a little more obvious.

Wilkinsons Paint and Varnish Stripper.

I bought a red arrows hawk cheap from ebay but hadnt noticed in the description than the fuselage had already been painted, painted with Humbrol enamel.

I made sure it wouldnt affect the plastic by trying it out on an old wreck i had, it cut through the coat of Klear, the decals and the acrylic paint right back to the plastic after just 30 minutes soak time.

Would it work as well on enamel?

This is before application

The i pasted the kit with the stripper as advised on the bottle

30 minutes later after a quick wipe over with some kitchen roll

This Bottle cost me £5-50 from Wilkinsons and should last a long time.

I'd say it was a roaring success

I'll see what its like on an old clear canopy tomorrow.

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great success there Wayne, thanks for sharing the results.

First Name
Dave
Rob. Did you use Humbrol matt clear varnish on your spitfire?.Ive had trouble with it in the past drying in white patches.I won't touch the stuff now.I use Vallejo matt clear.Its acrylic but gives a perfect finish over enamel or acrylic paints.

G

GordonW

\ said:
I use brake fluid to remove paint from models I let it sit in the brake fluid for a couple of hours and rinse it off in the sink it's water soluble and rinses off.
Paul
Hi there - new to this forum in 2015 and found your post so hopefully you'll still receive new posts! I also have ancient plastic models in need of restoration. You say "brake fluid" does the trick but a bit of research says there are three types of brake fluid - one (ancient one) based on castor oil and two more modern and still available ones, one based on glycol and the other on silicone. Which type did you use?

D

dougie

Just a side note... A lot of these chemicals should not be washed down the sink. Not good for our planet or or water courses.

we should all dispose of our waste responsibly ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
You say "brake fluid" does the trick but a bit of research says there are three types of brake fluid - one (ancient one) based on castor oil and two more modern and still available ones, one based on glycol and the other on silicone. Which type did you use?
the cheapest the motorfactors has lol

actually you would be lucky to find mineral based brake fluid these days

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I have used oven cleaner to remove enamel paint from models, and it works well enough, but I hadn't thought of putting them in a plastic bag or container till now. That's a good tip, thanks

Remember that oven cleaner will affect white metal and brass parts.

I use the glass oven door off an old cooker as my modelling board. When that's scruffy & daubed with paint I scrape most of it off with a Stanley knife blade, followed by a spray with oven cleaner and a scrub with a kitchen scouring pad; then plenty of water of course.

B

Buttonman

For the love of god Do Not Mix Bleach Products With Brake, Hydraulic fluid....