Painting built Tanks?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I got a 1/35 Warrior and a Weibelwind for christmas and am looking forward to building them.

The question I have is, build first then paint or t'other way round?

I've seen a good few tank builds on here, John's (Geegad) being a current one I saw, where the tank was completely build, or appeared to be, before a lick of paint is applied. I'm mostly a plane builder, so a lot of the interior is painted before the build is complete, therefore completeing the build before painting seems foreign.

Can any tank builders advise me please.

Cheers for any help.

Tony.

Ps I brush paint, don't know if this makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi tony good question .. personally i paint all the pieces b4 fitting. once complete i then weather it .... i am fascinated how other modellers do it the other way round. i am also a brush painter ... cheers lindsey

First Name
Adrian
I've only built one tank, a Patton for a club build, I built it completely without paint first and then painted and weathered it, as it was going to be caked in Vietnam mud I wasnt to worried about the underneath been well painted :smiling3:

Adrian

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
alright tony yes ive just started building the latest tank ive gone down the road off building then painting if you use a airbrush its a hell of a of easier mask of the parts that you dont want paint on...ive always painted then built this is the first attempt at a complete build then paint so we shale see how it goes.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am in the process of building a Bishop SPG and that is very much a paint as you go one. However that is due to there being a good deal of interior detail. A bit to much of a challenge once built. I do however build up as much as I can then paint that, and move on to the next bit. Once the inside is sorted, I build the rest of the tank 99% and then paint it. Things that WILL get knocked off or would be to hard to mask get painted and added just before the weathering starts..

It's all down to how complex the tank is and if its one colour or a camouflage job.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been building my Jackal in the way you've described, build a bit, paint a bit, build a bit, paint a bit more, etc.

Just thought there may have been a better way. I'm still a bit of a newby when it comes to tanks, AFV's and the like.

Cheers again.

Tony.