Painting canopy frame on a Ju-87

B

blongo

Guys, apologies if this is discussed elsewhere (new to this forum!!), but could you recommend a method for painting a canopy frame

I'm using an airfix kit for a 1/48 Stuka which has a relatively complex canopy frame and I'm struggling to colour the struts neatly!

Your help will be hugely appreciated, and I'm looking forward to making the most of this expert knowledge-base!! :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You need to mask the clear parts of the canopy before painting the frame work.

You'll need some Blu-Tac,masking tape,a cocktail stick and a SHARP blade.

First stick some Blu-Tac inside the clear part like this. This will make you much less likely to accidentally break the part.

Next stick a suitable piece of masking tape over the panel to be masked and burnish it down against the frame with a cocktail stick. Being wooden this won't scratch the plastic or tear the masking.

Now you can cut around the edge of the mask with a sharp blade. I use a new scalpel blade for this.

Finally remove the excess tape to reveal your masked canopy part. Thes are different parts as I've mislaid the final image of the sequence! I posted it before but can't remember where.

An alternative method is to not paint at all but cut thin strips of tape or decal film of the correct colour and apply that to the framework.

Some people paint a liquid mask onto the frames but these bugger up any Klear (gloss) previously applied and I struggle to get a good edge,that's just me though.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
I use the same method as stona and it gives a great result everytime.It can be very time consuming on something like a JU88,but the finished canopy is well worth the effort.

B

blongo

Fantastic! That is so helpful, thank you very much indeed.

I'm certainly glad to have joined this forum!

Cheers

Alex

S

snapper41

Or buy a pre-made mask by the likes of Eduard or Montex Masks.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Alex

Using the method that Steve described with his pics is how i achieved the finish on my Ju87 G-2. The pics can be seen for it on this page and if i'm honest i'm well happy how it came out.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/summer-2010-group-build-under-construction/9876-als-kanonen-vogel-7.html

A

andygh

This method even works for hamfisted apes like me.

I usually take canopies to work with me when I'm doing a night shift, it takes a while but it's one of those jobs that can be very theraputic

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'll add another tip here. The frames on many aircraft were painted a different colour on the interior to that on the exterior. Masking the interior of most model canopies is a task for the brave or very talented. If you are feling flush then the pre-cut masks already mentioned might be an option.

If you are as cheap as me you can get around this by masking the outside as above and then painting the interior colour first. Once this has dried you can apply the exterior colour. Viewed from the inside you will see that first coat ,the interior colour...simples.

If it's not too late the frames on a Ju87 would be the same as the rest of the cockpit interior,either RLM02 ( a sort of green/grey) or RLM66 (a dark blue/grey) depending on the date.The exterior would typically be in the relevant camouflage colour(s)

Cheers

Steve

B

blongo

I've done a pretty neat job, and I followed your advise to the letter but I've kept exterior/interior all one colour, I shall rise to that challenge on a future build!

Thanks again!