Painting coloured rings on bombs neatly.

I

ian lanc

I'm not a super modeller but one of my biggest bug-bear has to be painting neat

circles on the nose of bombs! I've tried the masking tape way but there is always

an edge of the masking tape that crinkles so you can't get a nice edge.

Well I came up with a simple idea of making a balsa wood frame for the bomb to sit

in and the bomb can be rotated easily, also don't try and use paint and a brush but

use a paint pen instead and start at the bottom of the bomb rotating the bomb fairly

quickly until you reach the other side. I'm now sold with this cheap but efficient method

of painting any such lines on any bombs,Just painted some 18 bombs and was a pleasure.

D

Danny

Looking good, tell me how do you rotate the bombs? and can you alter the size to fit any bomb or part?

Regards Danny

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Looking good, tell me how do you rotate the bombs? and can you alter the size to fit any bomb or part?Regards Danny
Hi Danny, The bomb is rotated with my thumb & finger on my free hand, then the paint pen tip just touch's the bomb and rotate, Easy really.

The base of the wood frame has two balsa wood sliders, so the gap between the bomb can be opened up or closed up.

Can't understand why I never thought of this years ago!

Ian.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a nifty idea. A thing I have struggled with on many a bomb.

I might just have to try this next time.

Ian M

T

tecdes

I would look through my little stash of decals which are growing at every model I make.

Cut the decal to the thickness required & "stick it on". Used this method on a number of things & works well & looks very neat. Nice thing about a good decal is it has colour depth.

Laurie

I

ian lanc

\ said:
I would look through my little stash of decals which are growing at every model I make.Cut the decal to the thickness required & "stick it on". Used this method on a number of things & works well & looks very neat. Nice thing about a good decal is it has colour depth.

Laurie
For the decal to fit on the nose of a bomb the decal itself has to be an C shape with a slit in it, does it not ?

A straight decal line will not curve around the nose of a bomb but will crease as you try to force it around.

Ian.

Last edited:
I

ian lanc

\ said:
looks great Ian, nice idea, like the pen.
Being as many bombs have different colours of bands around the nose of bombs

the paint pens are great as they come in many colours and how many times have

you seen writing on a bomb as a 'well wish' and you tried to replicate the writing

well these pens go right down to 0.5mm line and if you have a small amount of

paint on the nib you can go even finer.

Just search Uni Posca on ebay for them.

UNI POSCA MARKER PC-1M PAINT GLASS PEN BULLET TIP 1.0mm | eBay

T

tecdes

O tut Ian. You said a circle not a diminishing thingigy. You must not get annoyed with me. Just giving other methods

But not a problem with tape. Got these tapes which come in different size rolls down to about 1/32 of an inch. & they will go around stretching as you apply slight pressure.

Used them on the Mosquito bomb aimers window which is a real devil as it adjusts in two directions flat onto a concave shape.

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
I have a small balsa jig I put bombs in and the that goes into my Mincraft drill and then just switch on and paint :smiling3:

Adrian

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant solution Ian , looks great on the bomb, and thanks for the link , I never knew such things existed!!! tony

C

CDW

Like that idea, could be adjusted for other items needing such detail.

I use those Anime paint pens very often for touching decals up etc.

i would have imagined Ebay to be a little cheaper than that. I got a pack of 6 from Hobbycraft for about £10.