Painting small parts

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Got to the stage of wanting to paint some detail on the armament.20231217_130649.jpg
But how do you paint the magazine on something this small. I know carefully.
Any suggestions.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Magnification is necessary when this small. I've used paint on the point of a pin at times.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Use magnification at all times, it will save your pain later when you realise you painted the wrong part. Also a pointed cocktail stick might help.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Wow Andy that is small, I have doubts as to whether my hands would be steady enough for that, however I would have to use two pairs of glasses and my Optivisor together.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Decent quality brush with a good point helps, as does properly thinned paint. The paint then flows off the brush as required. Also, grip the part in your left hand and brace the right hand with the brush against it. That minimises the effect of hand shakes.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for that. Managed to find a fine brush, don't think they've turned out too bad, only painted the barrels on the pompoms and quad vickers and the oerlikons got the spent cartridge bag as well. First ship and could be the last... everything is so damned small.20231217_175025.jpg
Andy