Parafilm

A

AVB99

Hello

Does anyone know how to to propely use parafilm please? I bought some many years ago but have never worked out how to properly use it. I'm asking now becasue I was looking at an Airfix publication and there were pictures of it being used there but it was not being used as a stretch material as I believe it should be.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aidan

R

roconnell

Hi mate

There is a nice two page write up in the Scale Aviation Modeller International magazine (April 2013 vol 19 issue 4) :smiling:

Rich

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am experimenting with it and am in the process of completing a first build using it.

What you do is cut off a piece, not big, no more than 1" long. Then stretch it out. Do it carefully and steadily. This takes some practice. You should leave it for 15 second on a clean surface before cutting a piece off with a very sharp knife. Stretch it over the canopy and tuck it in and around. Use an implement to burnish it into the edges and corners while also getting any air pockets out from under. With a new blade cut around carefully so you can then remove it from the frames. It is then ready to spray.

removing it should be done with a cocktail stick with the tip cut off to form a wedge. It can lift the film quite easily.

I have just tried it on my first model, my first with a natural metal finish for which I used Gunze buffable metallics. I do not recommend using it with this paint as the lacquer based paint reacts with the parafilm and made it difficult to remove the film. I made a mess of it. I know it was the paint because I did not get that problem with ordinary Vallejo, using that on practise canopies the film came away easily and cleanly leaving no residue and without taking away any paint from the frames with it.

It is good stuff and while I still need to perfect it I believe that I will get far better canopies than I do with Eduard masks.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A little step by step here: Using Parafilm-M by David W. Aungst

Tempted to try some.

Ian M

A

AVB99

Ian M

If you send me an address by PM, I'll send you some to experiment with.

A

AVB99

\ said:
Hi mateThere is a nice two page write up in the Scale Aviation Modeller International magazine (April 2013 vol 19 issue 4) :smiling:

Rich
Thank you Richard

I'll hunt it out.