Picture Quiz

B

Bunkerbarge

I like picture quizzes as it is not so easy to find the answers immediately on the internet. For each picture there are two parts, the first part is a simple identification and the second part is a related question:

Enjoy!

1) Name the ship and which famous engagement was she involved with in May 1941.

2) Name the aircraft and the one it was developed into.

3) Name the motorcycle and what it had in common with ships engine control systems.

4) Name the car and the engine size in cc.

5) Name the ship and the ship she was mistaken for in the same engagement in question 1

6) Name the aircraft and why were they all painted white in March 1945

7) Name the Aircraft and the engines that were fitted to it.

8) Name the motorcycle and the most famous motorcycle produced by the same manufacturer.

9) Name the car and what motorcycle engine was used to power the Bond three wheeler car of the 1950's and 60's

10) Name the ship and how she got into this condition.

View attachment 14739

View attachment 14740

View attachment 14741

View attachment 14742

View attachment 14743

View attachment 14744

View attachment 14745

View attachment 14746

View attachment 14747

View attachment 14748

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

T

tigertc

1.HMS Suffolk (55) was the Kent class cruiser for the Royal Navy. She was built by Chatham Dockyard (Chatham, UK), with the keel being laid down on the 15 November 1924. She was launched on the 16 March 1926, and commissioned 25 June 1928.

[edit]

History

Suffolk, like her sisters, served on the China Station, save for reconstruction, until the outbreak of World War II. She came home in 1939 and then patrolled the Denmark Straits in October 1939. In April 1940 she participated in the Norwegian Campaign. On 13 April 1940 she arrived at Tórshavn to commence the British pre-emptive occupation of the Faroe Islands. On 14 April 1940 Suffolk sank the German tanker Skagerak (6044 tons) northwest of Bodø, Norway in position 64.05N, 08.00E.

On 17 April 1940 Suffolk bombarded a German station for sea planes at Stavanger, destroying four aircraft and badly damaging the installations, but was in return badly damaged by bombs from German Ju88 aircraft of II./KG 30. X-turret's magazine had been destroyed. The ship was very lucky to survive this ordeal and she barely reached Scapa Flow with her stern awash the next morning. She was beached at Scapa Flow to prevent her sinking. Suffolk was out of action from April 1940 until February 1941 where she was repaired at Clyde

During May 1941 Suffolk was involved in the Battle of the Denmark Strait and the sinking of the German battleship Bismarck. Suffolk had engaged the battleship twice during the battle making several salvoes on her. Bismarck finally sank on 27 May 1941.

After her repairs Suffolk served with the Home Fleet in Arctic waters until the end of 1942, then underwent a refit between December 1942 and April 1943. On completion of this the ship was ordered to the Eastern Fleet, operating in the Indian Ocean until the end of the war.

Suffolk was allocated to Bisco on 25 March 1948 and was scrapped at J Cashmore's (Newport, USA) where she arrived on 24 June 1948.

See HMS Suffolk for other ships of the name.

2. Avro Manchester...became The Lancaster....like a caterpillar turning into a bootifull butterfly.......gee shucks.

5.Tirpitz? mistaken for Bismarck...or the other way round....doh!

7.Westland Whirlwind. 2 Rolls Royce peregrine 1's

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Not a bad start but I'm not giving anything away just yet.

T

tigertc

9. Heinkel Trojan...Bond minicar of the 50's had a 122cc Villiers MK10d engine.

B

Bunkerbarge

9. Heinkel Trojan...Bond minicar of the 50's had a 122cc Villiers MK10d engine.
Single cylinder, two stroke and mounted on the front wheel. You started it by pulling a handle attached to a cord that dissapeared through a hole in the dash and was attached to a pulley connected to the flywheel.

Every few months the cord wore through and you smacked the passenger in the face with the handle when you tried to start it!!

F

flytilbroke

lmao.....musta have been so funny to see!!
Not when you looked in the mirror it wasnt:emo10: . Before I got my own wheels I used to get a lift to work in one, quite a strange motion it had.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Never drive one straight into a lock up garage always reverse her,otherwise you may not be able to start her again when attempting to get out of the vehicle ! this actually happened to a friend of mine.

B

Bunkerbarge

The one my Dad had did not have a reverse. You picked up the front end and carried it round in a circle!!!

T

Tailspin14

#6 is a German Me262a-1A. Most likely was painted white since the planes were move to the Alps to try to protect them from the advancing Americans.

N

Nigel.D

Answers

1 HMS Suffolk Involved in the Bismark Action

2 Avro Manchester Into Lancaster

3 BMW and Mixture control?

4 renault Dauphine 845 cc

5 Prinz Eugen Mistaken for the Bismark

6 Gloster Meteor they ran out of yellow Paint

7 Westland Whirlwind Rolls Royce Perrigrine engines

8 Sorry

9 Heinkel and ?????????

10 Hms Barham Torpedoed

B

Bluewavestudios

wrong answer Tailspin,

But I won't spoil it for the rest yet !!!

Regards......Mark.

B

Bunkerbarge

Nigel, Dam fine attempt sir and you got the most difficult one.

Anyway six fully correct, Number Nine Tiger got spot on, Number Six half right and Number three completely wrong. I am amazed you didn't get Number eight, I thought that was right up your street.

I'll give you a bit longer and put the answers up tomorrow.

T

tigertc

Totally pinched from the german design...but i have a funny feeling bunk has been a bit sneeky with this one,

i reckon its an brand new/refitted unpainted Meteor.

You an evil man if it aint!!!!

the tail config is a bit tempting!!

Last edited:
T

Tailspin14

Hey, at least I gave it a shot. Hehe... besides, I am relatively young and American.. lol.. this is like the blasted SAT's here in the states. I am thinking that I might have to start working on one. Great quiz though.. I worked on that for a couple of hours. You had me fooled.

N

Nigel.D

Sorry Richard

I was doing the quiz at 2 am this morn so my brain was not in gear for some reason i kept thinking it was an ariel but its

a Vincent Rapide and the famous partner is a Black shadow !!!

It wasnt untill i noticed the panniers that they gave it away

B

Bunkerbarge

OK Here we go to put you out of your misery:

1) HMS Suffolk and the battle of Denmark Straits when the Hood was sunk

2) The Manchester became, of course, the Lancaster

3) The beautifully made Douglas Dragonfly. Douglas was bought out by Westinghouse Brake and Signal who also made pneumatic control systems for ships engines as well as railway control systems.

4) Renault Dauphine and 845cc

5) Prinz Eugen, mistaken for the Bismark which is possibly why the Hood opened up on her first and wasted precious salvo's.

6) All Gloucester Meteors were painted white in March as Allied forces constantly mistook them for Me 262's and had a shot at them!

7) Westland Wirlwind fitted with two RR Peregrines, the forerunner of the Merlin.

8) Vincent Black Prince, the more famous being the Black Shadow.

9) Heinkel Trojan and quite rightly Tigers points out the Bond was driven by the Villiers two stroke bike engine.

10) This still was taken from a very famous video of HMS Barham just as her magazine goes up. A lot of brave sailors lost thier lives in this sinking. The ship took three torpedoes from U-331 on the 25th November 1941

I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks to Tailspin for giving it such a gallant attempt but at least you are not the only one to mistake the two!!