Preparation before using Alclad

T

tess

Hello

Im going to paint my B-29 with Alclad Polished Aluminium, Ive got the Alclad black primer as well. What's the finest grit of sand paper should I use when rubbing down filler. Ive some 600 grit will this be OK, I dont want any scratches to show through

Thanks

Tess

C

Caledonia

Tess, I have never used Alclad but I know that they make polishing cloths specially for this application, see link below. Cheers Derek

Plastic Model Kits - Models For Sale Ltd

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Or, if you have one a polishing stick. You can try a fingernail polishing /buffing stick but that is the type of grade you need. A really great buffing polishing stick is the Promodeller one in the polishing/sanding set. You get a good sanding sponge and a dry use only green and white sided polishing stick. The green white is 4000/10000 grit respectively. It has to be used dry but it will polish plastic, paint and clear parts to a literally squeaky shine.

You can see them and buy them in the Forum Shop here

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
10000! thats a bit rough in it?

Buy the polishing set from Alclad. contains a small sponge rubber block and 5 small sheets of wet and dry. 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000.

When polishing keep it wet and only draw the 'paper' one way and not in circles. By varying the direction, you will get a varying effect in the finnished paint work.

If you have not used Alclad before there are a few things you need to be aware of first. Nothing shockingly hard, dont panic. It is watery thin and you will need to turn the air on the airbrush right down. Spray on in short brush like strokes rather than the normal long airbrushing type stroke. Wear a mask the overspray goes every where!!! Remember to shake well EVERY Time befor you load the airbrush.

And lastly go at it very lightly. The effect will come quite quickly. To much at once and you will risk runs and it will look to heavy.

Oh one last thing. Prime first with ordinary primer, otherwise you risk melting the kit with the laquer undercoat.

I was sitting the other day wondering what would be a great plane to do and I think you have found a good one. Hope it goes well and look forwards to seing the results.

Ian M

S

snapper41

I'm doing a NMF P-47 using Alclad. I found this link really useful:

The Secret Life of Alclad II