Primer layer

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I hope this is not too much of a stupid question...
The last two models I've done (first in 40 years) I've not used primer. What is the advantage of using primer first. Getting the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Kent painting it in the dazzle camo.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Two main advantages of primer in my opinion.
Firstly it creates a uniform surface for subsequent paint and secondly it will usually show up areas which need work, a bit more filling and sanding.
It also sticks to bare plastic better than ordinary paint, especially acrylics, but if a model is not going to be handled it's probably not a factor.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
A primer aids in the top coat sticking to the surface. It can also show up any faults and blemishes you may have missed (acrylics)..
If you are using enamel or lacquer paints then you can apply them straight to the model.
But I would advise you use a primer coat. I use the rattle can grey primer from Azon, or I go for the Mr Hobby Finishing primer usually mixed 50/50 with thinner.
Hope this helps.
Like Jim just beat me posting...

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy, this topic came up recently which gives a few different views on priming. Might be worth a look

I prime for 2 main reasons, firstly it helps highlight any issues with the kit like gaps or scratches, before I commit to paint.

Secondly it can help adhesion, especially on mixed media like resin or photo etch.

Edit: 3 very similar answers at once!

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for that. An interesting thread, didn't find it when I did a search. So in the end like most things modelling its down to personal preference. Though I see the advantages of having a uniform colour to paint on and showing any missed seams.
Will go with the primer as there might be some after market PE and resin things. Have tobeait for it to arrive.
Thanks
Andy