Primer painting with airbrush

Michelnou

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michel
Hi guys,
I am beginner in airbrush painting and I wonder what cleaning actions should be carried out on the airbrush between 2 primer coats (need to wait about 30 minutes) ?

I thank you for advices
Michel

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
With that time between coats I'm assuming it's a water based primer. If so I'd do a quick clean:

Empty out as much as you can, put some water in the cup and blast it through. Wipe out the cup with some tissue and repeat.

Make sure there's no dried primer on the tip, then I'd leave the cup full of water until you're ready for the next coat (it'll prevent any residue drying in the airbrush.)

Others may have different methods but that's what I'd do.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I would do the same as Andy except that after flushing through with water a couple of times I would put airbrush cleaner in the cup, spray a little through, wipe the needle/nozzle with a soft brush dipped in the cleaner and then leave the cup with a bit of cleaner in it.

Michelnou

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michel
I thank you for your advices.

What should be the answer if I use a solvent based primer which need more time to dry ?

Thanks
Michel

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
For me it would be a similar process but using the appropriate solvent instead of water.

If you plan on leaving it any longer than about half an hour then I'd fully clean the airbrush.