Primer Question

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi all,
I apologise if this question has been asked before but I have a query about primers.

When I prime my Warhammer vehicles/figures I use Citadel chaos black in a rattle can, I now have a 1/35 scale Tamiya British Churchill VII tank waiting to be built.

My question is, can I prime the Churchill tank with my can of Citadel chaos black and then top coat it with Tamiya TS-2 dark green or will the 2 paints react because chaos black is acrylic and TS-2 is a synthetic lacquer.

Also, once the top coat is fully cured can I use my Vallejo acrylics for detailing and weathering etc.

Regards, Chris.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all,
I apologise if this question has been asked before but I have a query about primers.

When I prime my Warhammer vehicles/figures I use Citadel chaos black in a rattle can, I now have a 1/35 scale Tamiya British Churchill VII tank waiting to be built.

My question is, can I prime the Churchill tank with my can of Citadel chaos black and then top coat it with Tamiya TS-2 dark green or will the 2 paints react because chaos black is acrylic and TS-2 is a synthetic lacquer.

Also, once the top coat is fully cured can I use my Vallejo acrylics for detailing and weathering etc.

Regards, Chris.
It’s a definite yes for using Vallejo for detail painting over lacquer. I’ve been doing that for years.

I’ve never used citadel chaos Black myself, though I have used diluted Tamiya jar lacquer over Vallejo and Army painter acrylic primers with no issues. It will need a light touch though. If you inadvertently flood the surface from the spray, the solvent will probably react badly with the primer.

Best to practice first on a test subject (old plastic packaging or such) to see what happens I think.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Ditto to Tim's post. A lot of the problems with incompatible paint layers is down to not allowing enough time for paint to properly cure and/or, as Tim said, flooding on the paint.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Don’t forget that you can always test this sort of thing: take a piece of the kit’s sprue (one that’s devoid of parts), spray a bit of it with the Citadel paint, leave that to dry as you normally would, and spray the Tamiya paint over it.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
You should be ok with the black as your primer. I have now changed to Mr Hobby black primer (airbrushed 50/50) and had no problems with it affecting any parts of my Scimitar. As Jakko said if in doubt use a bit of sprue or plasticard as your test piece.
The question has been asked many times and we never get tired of answering it - even from experienced modellers that want to try out a new process. 20230902_094325_HDR.jpg