PSI for Tamiya acrylics

M

m1ks

I'm typically a user of Humbrol Enamels but have now amassed a range of Tamiya acrylics for some projects, Unlike enamels the flash time of tamiya acrylics thinned with IPA is very very quick and i'm finding it a wee bit tricky to maintain a wet edge for spraying overlay on large pieces, (i'm hoping to get a second AB soon with a 0.5mm nozzle for larger work which will help some), can I ask the acrylic airbrushers who use gloss what settings do you use, PSI etc and are there any helpful tips, do you all thin with IPA / Tamiya thinners or do some use water etc.

Thanks

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Can't answer your specific Tamiya thinning question as I don't spray them. I do spray various other acrylics and use pressures from as low as 10-12 psi up to about 20 psi (rarely). Typically it would be somewhere in between. I think it will depend on your set up to some extent as well as how you thin your paint. I sometimes hear of people spraying at 30-40psi but can't imagine why!

Cheers

Steve

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
I have sprayed Tamiya recently and like Steve says a 50/50 paint and thinners (I use IPA disguised as neat Halfords screenwash) at about 15psi seems to work for me although it went on very dusty working a large area.

Still, it suited the job.

I clean it with Mucoff which also works well on the mountain bilke, also from Halfords, with a final clean with the AB cleaner from the Forum Shop.

We have to assume of course that the pressure display is accurate?

Assume. There's a dangerous word.

Assume makes an ASS/U/ME!!

Peter

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi mike, i usually spray tamiya at about 20-25 psi thinned with their own thinners . The ratio is always carefully calculated using various parameters (OK ,i just guess!! but usually if its about the consistency of milk then its about right) Dont be tempted to use water ,it can cause varied results as their paint is not purely water based, having some sort of alcohol in it too.If the IPA is giving too quick drying , try tamiya thinners maybe it gives a bit more time , it seems to work ok for me. (BTW the IPA you mention isnt india pale ale is it?!!! that would explain a lot!!!LOL) cheers tony

M

m1ks

Thanks guys, i'd given my final coat at about 15 PSI but think I could have thinned a bit more, had to hold the brush closer than normal to get a good wet coat down, got a slightly orange peel finish but as it's only the base for my Saturn V i'm not too fussed.

Will try it with Tamiyas own thinner and see what that does. Incidentally I clean the AB with a 6% solution of household ammonia in water then flush through with a little IPA and finally clean and blow through with water.

The Ammonia works out very good cost effective wise, i'm a little wary of using screenwash as though the active ingredient is Ammonia i'm never sure of the 'other' ingredients.

When I last checked, it's not India pale ale but I gather some people think it's OK to drink? :smiling3:

I can tell you it smells exactly like Tamiya thinners does though.

B

backonthecase

If it helps M1ks, I use a 1:2 ratio of tesco concentrate screenwash or Boots surgical spirit to tamiya paint, sprayed at about 15 psi - just remember to have the air button on your airbrush pressed when you adjust the air pressure from your source, so it's adjusting the spray pressure, not the pressure built up in the pipe.

hope this helps

Stuart

R

Richy C

I`m the same as Tony 20 - 25 psi I also use tamiya thinners , again the ratio is a bit of this then a bit of that which works for me

Richy

D

Dingbat

This is what I like about this forum.The little gold nuggets of info like these.Just info on spray psi where to get alternative thinners ie tesco boots.I personally have small pipettes 5ml which I mix paints with and always use tamiya thinners because when I've used it the jar is great for keeping thinned down paint in just peel of the old labor and add your own.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have read somewhere that the Tamiya thinners,which is basically isopropyl alcohol, has a drying retardant added. I can't see any reason that you couldn't add your own to your mix. I use one with Xtracrylix and it not only gives you a little longer wet time it also helps prevent blockages due to paint drying at the nozzle.

M

m1ks

Hmmmmm, now that's interesting, what would that drying retardant be?, it's, (tamiya thinner), main component is definitely IPA, the smells virtually indistinguishable.

That's precisely the thing that would make a difference to the paint finish as otherwise its a balance between enough air to get good atomisation but not evaporate the solvent too quickly.

Can you buy pre bottled? I might try some mix with a splash of my ammonia concentrate to see what that does.

B

backonthecase

I have "Flow Improver" from art shops, made by Windsor & Newton. It's about £5 a jar unfortunately but you only need a few drops each time.

N

noble

Hi i still use Tamiya acrylics and Tamiya thinner, i always use a 50/50 mix of paint and thinner as i use a duel action brush for more control i pre-set the trigger control and then set the psi at around 15 psi this gives me excellent control with no splashes.

scott

F

Ferrariland

When I use Tamiya acrylics I never thin the paint with Tamiya X20A thinner for A/B, use their Lacquer thinner its far superior and you will get much a much better finish assuming your airbrush has Teflon packing and you have proper ventilation.