Quick question on figure manufacturers

First Name
Drew
So I'm looking for some 1/35 troops to populate my diorama (as my first choice is now out) and have been browsing the net.

I have noticed one thing I need to ask about.

The price of Tamiya figures is a lot lower than other brands.

The only brand of figures I've had recently is Dragon so I don't know about Tamiya.

Is there anything to know about?

Should I avoid them?

I have to admit, the price does make me wary but you usually get around two more figures for less money.

Any opinions on Tamiya figures (not just in relation to Dragon)?

Thanks

F

Fenlander

Cannot really say on the 1:35 but the 1:48 Tamiya are always a tad under scale. It depends on how many figures you want but the resin figures that are now available outclass most plastic. However, if you can get the figures you want, Masterbox figures are beautiful for plastic.

First Name
Drew
Hey Graham.

I've been looking at MB figures and I have got some on my shopping list for future projects.

I've been waiting on some Soviet figures from an ebay store but they haven't turned up yet (27 days after they said they'd posted). Going by their feedback it seems as though Royal Mail have lost this somewhere in between the festive period mail and the snow.

So I have my base (half built) and I'm now looking at re-inventing my diorama because the figure set is no longer in production.

If they cannot supply one of these kits then I may even be up for the Normandy GB!

S

sprayman

I enjoy Dragon figures, with Hornet heads, but I tend to keep away from Tamiya, even at 1:35 they seem to work out at 5'5", The Master Box figures are not to bad in my opinion, they still need a touch of work doing before you paint them, but if I want to treat myself to top figures then I have to go down the Alpine-miniatures road, these are far superior to any other figures out there, but twice the price, the quality however is superb.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Drew, in my opinion Tamiya are fine for the price but I find them a bit chunky, especially the boots!

To each his own, but I can't afford and couldn't justify resin figures or Alpine miniatures, superb figures they may be. Sorry boys.lol

All figures need working on though, no matter what make.

Master Box are excellent, but my favourites are Mini Art, well priced, quality plastic figures that will stand against any others, bar none!

Why not buy a Tamiya figure set (Under £4) and see what you think?

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

To be honest I wouldn't limit yourself to a particular manufacturer but include figures from more than one in any diorama. They all have differences but basically each manufacturer varies from one kit to another so a mix and match approach is usually worthwhile.

As an example the figures I have put on my coaster include two white metal figures, one from the original kit and one from an alternative vendor, plus a Tamiya German field cook, a Master Box Russian tank crew member and a couple of Mini Art German tank crew members. Add to that a Hornet bicycle and Tamiya field accessories and you get the idea!!

Don't limit yourself, look for the particular figures you want, whoever may make them.