Removing poly glue

C

Cragrat

Hello,

just found a Revell Fire Engine model whilst clearing out father in laws house. He had only just started it but due to very bad eyesight had stuck the pieces together wrongly. Revell were no help saying the model was deleted a few years ago so no new spare parts. Is there anyway of unstick ing and cleaning up the parts, otherwise it will have to be thrown away. I have managed to cut apart large parts of the chassis but the suspension needs moving and looks like it will snap if any force is applied and is too diddly to get the knife blade in the correct way. Can you gently dissolve old glue. Any help would be appreciated.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hiya, I'm sure someone will correctt me here, and I hope they do.......... But, I believe Poly cement is a bit like a weld rather than an adhesive ......... It fuses the two parts together rather than sticking them together with a film of adhesive in the middle............ So I think it might be a bit difficult.

Peter

T

tecdes

Yes agree with Peter the stuff is not a glue it just softens the plastic enough to weld it together.

What I have done when things have not gone as they should is to use a Morton knife (with blade) & sliced through the weld. Bit of making good and all is well. Bit difficult on some pieces where they slot together.

Laurie

R

Roobarb

I know this might sound odd but freezing the joint can weaken it to the point that it will fail if pressure is applied.I understand that it is a little hit and miss depending on the glue used but I understand it is effective at separating joints made with most tube glues.It might be worth a try before attempting mechanical methods of separating the parts,I understand the recommended time is around twelve hours in the freezer(overnight).One of the members of our local club broke down a model using this method so it does work.

Malcolm