Replacement for Future Klear

S

Stevekir

I have read that, before masking and painting the framework of a canopy, it is a good idea to dip the canopy in a very clear "varnish", to give a good shine and protect the transparent plastic. Klear is no longer available and word has it that a Pledge product is a suitable replacement.

= What do you use (which is available in the UK)?

= What is its exact name (one version of Pledge is called "Wax" and another something else).

= is it really suitable? If not, what is?

= Is this it: Pledge Klear Multi-surface wax, 750ml, floor shine: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

= What about this: Alclad 2 4oz Aqua Gloss Klear Kote Varnish - 600 - £6.99

= If neither, where can I get a suitable replacement for Klear for canopies?

= Also, is what you recommend also suitable as an airbrushed final gloss finish (assuming that I go for a gloss finish) over acryllic paint for an aeroplane model?

Thanks

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
http://www.scale-models.co.uk/painting/13979-what-klear.html

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/painting/12642-johnsons-klear.html

Found after a simple search

S

Saber

sometimes klear makes a canopy worse I have found I tend to leave them as they are now give a buff with a clean cloth and glue them in place with humbrol clearfix. If they are a bit scuffed klear can help though.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

A

AVB99

Hello Steve

I canot get on with Klear as a gloss varnish while others here will swear by it. However for canopies and clear plastic parts, a simple dunking and then a 24 hour drying provides amazing results for me.

If you intend making a gloss model, I recently did some testing with gloss varnishes. What I did find was that gloass varnish airbrushes much better onto acrylic matt finishes. That is, the gloss finish after a couple of coats of varnish is glossier on matt paint than on gloss paint. I also found that a better gloss )airbrushed) finish is attained with Vallejo gloss rather than Klear. But again, this is just me. Some of the chaps here have been modelling for hundreds of (collective) years, using Klear and they love it.

Aidan

T

tecdes

I used Klear in the dunking method for canopies for a short time.

Did not do much for me as I did not want my canopies to shine.

But apart from that I found that Klear is easily damaged when you are working on the canopy masking. Also did not like the idea of painting on to a slightly shiny surface.

Do not like the idea of varnish on canopies. I have accidently sprayed a canopy when varnishing the whole aircraft & I found it did not give good results.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I love Klear on canopies,it makes them appear more thin and glass like. I clean the parts with alcohol to remove any grease,fingerprints etc before dunking them in the Klear. I then sit them on some kitchen roll in an old biscuit tin to wick away any excess and to keep dust off.

I do use Klear before decalling but agree with Aidan that it is not the thing to use for a true gloss finish. There are much better gloss varnishes available for that. I very rarely need a gloss finish,Vallejo has worked for me,but maybe the guys who do cars would have a better idea.

I've not used the Alclad gloss but have heard good things about it.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Yes agree Steve I think the Car guys will have a much better idea on gloss varnish. Vallejo is OK on aircraft at least the type I construct but that superb gloss on model cars I do not think can be replicated by Vallejo.

Laurie

PS Hate Klear

Do I like this very horrible Klear

No I would rather get drunk on beer

It is awfull so smelly old stuff

Of which I have had more than enough

As it makes me feel so dreadfully Queer

A

AJay

I used to get on with Klear but lately it seems to dry patchy with some parts remaining damp for days. I'm wondering if Klear has a shelf life? My bottle is about 5+ years old.

S

Saber

\ said:
Yes agree Steve I think the Car guys will have a much better idea on gloss varnish. Vallejo is OK on aircraft at least the type I construct but that superb gloss on model cars I do not think can be replicated by Vallejo.Laurie

PS Hate Klear

Do I like this very horrible Klear

No I would rather get drunk on beer

It is awfull so smelly old stuff

Of which I have had more than enough

As it makes me feel so dreadfully Queer
we have a poet among us lol :smiling3:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

T

tecdes

O yes poet laureate next year Mark I would not wonder.

Mick from Limerick.

Laurie