Revell Audi R10 TDi

D

daveb257

happened across this kit as part of a pack from ebay with the R10 & Corvette C6R 2006 Le Mans winners,

Box was a touch battered but kits OK (or so I thought) even had all the glue paint & brush still in there.

Little bit of priming & pre painting

View attachment 85062

and again after basic powertrain put together

View attachment 85063

Tub, floor and rear wing components

View attachment 85064

not the best fitting nose but is certainly recoverable

View attachment 85065

at last its starting to take shape, powertrain fitted into chassis

View attachment 85066

IMG_9680.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_9684.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

First Name
Jason
Good start Dave! I've got one of these in the stash so I'll be interested to see how it comes together. I have read that there are some fit issues with it but yours doesn't look too bad.

Jason

P

Polux

Interesting vehicles ;)

Fantastic start, the first primer coat looks very fine :smiling3:

Cheers

D

daveb257

@jason,

most of it is OK except for the rear wing endplates, easiest to describe like this:

View attachment 85105

three separate parts, coloured red, yellow & white when all fitted the rear wing should be mounted directly to the floor plan and the rear body work place on separatetly, ( the yellow part is actually inside the rear bodywork so the vertical section you can see (in yellow again) is part of rear body panel NOT the wing assembly

View attachment 85106

the fit between the wing assembly and the body is a mile out, im almost tempted to glue the rear body in place and hack about the wing supports to make it best fit (second pic in red)

Plan is for car to be dirty anyway so this may just help blending it all in, thoughts anyone?

3060000000058114.JPG

AudiR10-MF11.jpg

D

daveb257

Few more updates:

coat of paint on the gloss red bits

View attachment 85108

Bit of tidying to do as my masking wasn't as good as hoped for !

View attachment 85109

and then it got masked the other way for first silver coat

View attachment 85110

Which then leaves the worlds worst picture (sorry )

View attachment 85111

Preliminary work on tub, matt & gloss black with silver fro front wing section, needs some red detailing doing on the small winglets

View attachment 85112

engine/powertrain install, exhausts/DPF ready for weathering.

Great shame for this kit is zero interior detail, radiators/chassis etc so maybe fixing rear body work isn't a loss after all......

View attachment 85113

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2880.JPG

D

daveb257

Hmmm all does not go well, some said earlier there were rumours of issues with this and boy are they right!

The main body is slightly longer than the other, easy sorted

One of the rear corner/rear wing supports is out of true so wing doesn't line up, really struggling with this.

Decals are rubbish, with or without decal soft they are so brittle especially the carbon look ones oh and one small point the wheels are bigger than the arches !

Solutions, although both cars (numbers 7 & 8) featured in the kit made it to the end of the race relatively unscathed mine is going to have some accident damage on the rear quarter that results in some temporary repair to hide the joins :smiling:

D

daveb257

Saturday night update on this one,

I've put it all back in the box & may come back to it someday, I've been trying stuff all week & can't get it to a state I'm happy with so it's either shelve it or bin it

First Name
Mike
That's a shame Dave, but putting it away for a while (instead of binning it which is what you probably feel like doing) is the best thing to do. I'm sure you'll come back to it; it's looking really nice despite the issues you've had.

T

treyzx10r

I'm with Mike be a shame to bin it after such great work you've got into it.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes never bin one always good for spares. I know how frustrating it can be when they fight you like this, it's a wise man you are have a break and come back to it refreshed.

First Name
Jason
That is a real shame Dave. The work you've done looks great and that silver is awesome. Might leave mine at the back of the stash...:rolleyes:

Jason

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think many of us have had kits like this, poor fit and just a pain. You have done the right thing, it isn't going anywhere so back in the box until you feel ready. Great work so far though.

Si:smiling3: