Rigging practice

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Having a tidy up found this!
20220218_145058.jpg
No idea when I bought it, its 1 350 to 1 200, so should not be too thick? So cut some lengths of sprue and
20220218_134346.jpg20220218_134330.jpg
Not to bad me thinks, do you though????

Found best way was to slightly over estimate the length then trim after, the joining piece is a bit too short though. Love how elastic it is!

Biggest problem was how fast the accelerator evaporated, dipped one end in, then tried another length and it had gone, tried the spray adaptor but to much for me

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Having a tidy up found this!
View attachment 446199
No idea when I bought it, its 1 350 to 1 200, so should not be too thick? So cut some lengths of sprue and
View attachment 446200View attachment 446201
Not to bad me thinks, do you though????

Found best way was to slightly over estimate the length then trim after, the joining piece is a bit too short though. Love how elastic it is!

Biggest problem was how fast the accelerator evaporated, dipped one end in, then tried another length and it had gone, tried the spray adaptor but to much for me
Bob,
that's the way to go! - The accelerator - that is where a 3rd hand would be very useful. I have decanted a bit of kicker into a little tube, then used a paintbrush held between my teeth to apply the kicker, with one hand holding the thread & the other applying the CA. It does work, but you can end up with brush hairs stuck to the joint. I had toyed with the idea of fine capillary tubing, controlled by breath, but the kicker is nasty stuff!
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very tidy Bob. You might want to make some thin sprue and try with those as well. One line does not pull to much, but when you start to add more they all have a tug at it.
I have a signal yard with 16 or so lines on and after it was done it was like a banana!

My method of using kicker as CA. Only needs two hands, not brush or teeth! lol.
A dot of CA on the target part. (DONT use the thin runny stuff, use a medium thick one). Offer the part to attach to the blob and give it a spritz og kicker. Job done. Thinking as I wrote that you kan even do it with one hand but probably not advisable.
Question. >That thread you used, is it smooth and doesn't catch on rough fingers or did you tweezer everything?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
that's the way to go! - The accelerator - that is where a 3rd hand would be very useful. I have decanted a bit of kicker into a little tube, then used a paintbrush held between my teeth to apply the kicker, with one hand holding the thread & the other applying the CA. It does work, but you can end up with brush hairs stuck to the joint. I had toyed with the idea of fine capillary tubing, controlled by breath, but the kicker is nasty stuff!
Dave
Cheers Dave, read the accelerators ingredients and yes not nice!! No naked flames lol
Some say to add the kicker to the point you want the end to stick then place the end and a touch of the CA and it will harden instantly.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard, works well when it's actually liquid lol

Very tidy Bob. You might want to make some thin sprue and try with those as well. One line does not pull to much, but when you start to add more they all have a tug at it.
I have a signal yard with 16 or so lines on and after it was done it was like a banana!

My method of using kicker as CA. Only needs two hands, not brush or teeth! lol.
A dot of CA on the target part. (DONT use the thin runny stuff, use a medium thick one). Offer the part to attach to the blob and give it a spritz og kicker. Job done. Thinking as I wrote that you kan even do it with one hand but probably not advisable.
Question. >That thread you used, is it smooth and doesn't catch on rough fingers or did you tweezer everything?
Hi Ian, to answer your ?? Smooth. Tried by hand and tweezers.
Your just showing off now bob :smiling3:
No way Mark, very early days lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks good Bob, plenty of practice before the main .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Good idea to make up a practice rig Bob.
Pete

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks good Bob, plenty of practice before the main .
Very true, when you see some of the rigging on many models, my god will my nerves hold up lol
Good idea to make up a practice rig Bob.
Pete
Thanks Pete, next is to make 2 bog standard masts for multiple threads, headache tablets in stock!!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Bob,

Here I was thinking this post was about where you could buy more rigging after using all of yours up doing tests............It is looking good though and I wish you all the luck doing your floaty thingy rigging..............

Prost
Allen

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Damn Bob,

Here I was thinking this post was about where you could buy more rigging after using all of yours up doing tests............It is looking good though and I wish you all the luck doing your floaty thingy rigging..............

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen, slow but steady!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Bob I just used the EZ line for the first time. I put a drop of CA at the contact point then dipped the line in the accelerator and touched it in place and it seemed to work well. It was a good idea to build a practice rig.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Nice work Bob I just used the EZ line for the first time. I put a drop of CA at the contact point then dipped the line in the accelerator and touched it in place and it seemed to work well. It was a good idea to build a practice rig.
Hi Paul, worked OK apart from how fast the accelerator vanished