RLM 71 - Tamiya equivalent

C

Cooperman69

I'm looking to paint my latest purchase, Bf 109 E-4 in Helmut Wicks colours, but I'm unsure about what colour will look correct for the camo.

I have the following colours so far

XF-23 (light blue) for RLM 65

XF-22 (RLM grey) for RLM 02

but I'm a little unsure what would look right for RLM 71 (dark green)?

I have been given XF-65 by an experienced modeller at the shop which is Field Grey and to be honest it does look like a green/grey and will blend nicely with the RLM Grey, but according to an online paint comparison it says to use XF-13 (IJA Green).

What do you guys use for RLM 71 in Tamiya paints?

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, when I did my Helmut Wicks's aircraft, and as I don't use Tamiya paints, I used Vallejo 888 Model Colour Acrylic for the RLM 71 Dk. Green. This might help to get the correct colour, as well as Tony's post.

Keep in mind too the stipple is done in Dk. Green only, directly over the Lt. Blue.

Good luck,

Ron

C

Cooperman69

What conversion table did you use?

The one I looked at recommended XF-13 (IJN Green).

M

msm2

Vallejo paint leaflet and the conversion at top under quick links.

C

Cooperman69

Hi Ron,

Vallejo 888 Olive Grey looks very much like the Tamiya XF-65 Field Grey so may be on the right track there.

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
Vallejo paint leaflet and the conversion at top under quick links.
Ha ha, didn't know that was there!

You live and learn, thanks.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
RLM 71 is a dark green,it doesn't have a grey element to it,if anything a slightly yellow or olive cast.

There is another colour,RLM 69, which has a grey cast to it despite often sharing the same discriptive name (dunkelgrun). RLM 70 is a very dark green often described as black-green.

The two colours were applied together on early wartime fighters and,throughout the war,on bombers and transports. There is not a great contrast between them and the two colours are sometimes difficult to distinguish on B+W photos. Anyone who built the big Airfix "Stuka" years ago will remember that the instructions called incorrectly for an over all,one colour,dark green camouflage.

Here's a still from a famous piece of colour film showing the two colours. I'm pretty sure this comes from Neil Page (Falke Eins) Luftwaffe blog which is here.

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=50

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cooperman69

Thanks Steve.

So what would you recommend for RLM 71 from the Tamiya range or would I be better off mixing up the paint as per the instructions?

Is the XF-13 IJN Green appropriate for this kit as the paint guide claims? Haven't seen it myself so not sure how dark it is.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Colin,I don't use Tamiya paints so I'm not able to comment on their colours. I honestly think that any dark green colour will look right on a model,particularly next to the grey/green of RLM 02 and over the blue of RLM 65.

If you were doing a 70/71 splinter scheme (as in the piccy above) you'd need to be more careful to get the contrast between the two colours looking about right.

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the advice Steve.

I believe I understand what your getting at now about the contrast between RLM 70, 71 and 02, and if your using similar colours as in RLM 70, 71 then the shade is of importance. Whereas with RLM 71 and 02 together you will see a much better demarkation so the colour shade is not so critcal.

Atb, Colin.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanks for the advice Steve. I believe I understand what your getting at now about the contrast between RLM 70, 71 and 02, and if your using similar colours as in RLM 70, 71 then the shade is of importance. Whereas with RLM 71 and 02 together you will see a much better demarkation so the colour shade is not so critcal.

Atb, Colin.
Exactly so!

I have a historical interest in the Luftwaffe and of course what these aircraft looked like. I try to allow this to inform my choice of colours on my models rather than dictate them.

It is well known that our perception of a colour changes with its context. If you get a dark green and a grey/green (RLM 71 and RLM 02) which look right next to each other on your model then they are right!

On a historical note RLM 02 seems to have been a colour that varied from the RLM standard more than most. The ministry did complain to the manufacturers about this on several occasions. It's yet another reason not to over complicate your efforts to match some dubious standard.

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
Just found this too. Eastern Carolina Plastic Modelers
Thanks for that Tony, really useful.

Just placed it straight into my "Bookmarks".

M

Mejdzr

\ said:
Ha ha, didn't know that was there!You live and learn, thanks.
Hello Collin.Im building my [h=1]Ju-87 B2/R2 Stuka[/h] and im interested in that ,,conversion table,, but i cant see it. What am I doing wrong?? :D